Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 66.131.242.231
Old 05-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Reverse Gear brake band loose?

Hello,
I am in the process of repairing the reverse of my atomic 4. Basically, my problem is that the gear seems to start to slip at high rpm, resulting in no more reverse. I think the problem can be fixed by adjusting the adjusting nut on the reverse gear brake band.
But before doing so, I just want to make sure everything else is normal. And actually, I find it a little bit odd that when I move the shifting lever from neutral to reverse, everything in the gear box seems to be moving a little bit.
If you look at this video ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/fhPbzMiKovqw45Vy9 ), you can see that the reverse gear brake band moves when I move the lever.
Is this supposed to be normal? In my mind, when I move the lever, if a portion of this movement makes the break band moves, its going to prevent the reverse gear spring to fully compress and do its job?
Anyway, do you think the movement of those different parts of the gear box is normal? And if not, is there a way to tighten everything ?
Thank you very much, any help is very appreciated!
Julien
  #2   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 05-22-2021, 12:18 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
When the trans is slipping in reverse are you holding the shifter to keep reverse engaged? Reverse REQUIRES you to apply pressure to maintain engagement however forward will actually lock in forward via the "detent".

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 66.131.242.231
Old 05-23-2021, 09:24 AM

Hello, Thank you for your reply. Indeed I knew that holding the shifter was necessary, but it was still slipping.
Julien
  #4   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 05-23-2021, 09:50 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
In the video are you going from forward to reverse? Or are you just moving the shifter around in the "neutral zone"? I ask this as I see the detent for forward is not engaging.
The back and forth motion is what compresses the clutches for forward and is held by the "detent" ~ normal. The "band" grabs the whole assembly to develop reverse through the planetary drive (reduction in reverse only).

Before you adjust the reverse band be sure that forward engages the detent to lock in gear then perform the adjustment for reverse.

If you get a bit of spin on the shaft in reverse while idling it is the friction of the oil driving the shaft not the "gears". Finding a true neutral with this trans is somewhat illusive. Mine spun in neutral most of the 34 years I ran her. I did have a sweet spot the would be truly neutral (no shaft spin) if I watched the shaft and moved the shifter until the rotation stopped only. You may also notice that if you rev the motor in neutral the shaft will often slow down once the oil is warmed up.

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
thatch (05-23-2021)

Tags
reverse adjustment, reverse gear, shifting adjustment