Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 71.159.218.231
Old 07-26-2006, 12:09 AM

problems neutral gear and fumes?

Good evening,

I basically only use my engine as a back-up for when i come in and leave the dock, run it for about 15 minutes in neutral, and less than 2 min in forward. I have been doing this for the last year, and sometimes I don't even use forward at all. Fumes started to accumulate in my cabin after i run the engine (not while it's running) and when I returned to the boat each time i could smell gaslike fumes (this lasted for several months).

Two weeks ago I used my engine for 1 hr in forward. exhaust fumes could be smelled for a little while it was running, but stopped after 15 min or so.
To my surprise the nagging long lasting fumes were almost gone when I returned to the boat the following day.

Could it be that always driving the engine in neutral causes fumes, that do not get exhausted properly and linger in the cabin?

Thanks! I would like to know if i actually do damage to my engine by never use it in forward and always have it in neutral.

Jolanda
Ericson 29
San Francisco bay
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM

Jolanda,

Your engine would definitely stay "healthier" if you used it more. Never using the engine in forward (with a normal load imposed on it) means that it never fully warms up, which will lead to more than normal carbon build-up on the valves and pistons.

Don
  #3   IP: 69.230.60.88
Old 07-26-2006, 10:39 PM

Question What to do then???

Don...

If you DO have a crazy amount of build-up in the combustion chamber, what is the best way to get rid of it?

I've noticed CHUNKS in there when I check the plugs. I'm afraid they might ding the valves they're so big!

What do I do to get rid of the build-up in an old engine?
  #4   IP: 71.146.30.141
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 AM

Thanks Don, good to know! It seems that the nasty fumes we talked about a few months ago are almost gone. I haven't touched the fuel pump yet, and maybe that won't be necessary for now.

Best regards, Jolanda