faulty solenoid? switch? connection? starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve f
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2006

faulty solenoid? switch? connection? starter?

Hi - sometimes when starting my '75 atomic four I get an intermittent "click" (no starter spin), then after trying again the starter will spin & she'll start right up nicely. This past Sunday it took 2-3 tries going out, and 4 tries when returning...making me concerned. Please advise what you think it might be...thanks!!
    Steve
    '75 27' O'day
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Weak battery? Any sign that the alternator is not functioning properly?

Poor (high resistance) connections at battery posts or the starter itself?

Bill

Comment

• steve f
      Frequent Contributor
      • Oct 2006

Thanks Bill but once the starter spins it spins at normal speed, engine then starts immediately. Both batteries are charging well.
      The click comes once - as I turn the key. After a couple of key-turns (& the single clicks) the starter kicks in & voila. Any other ideas? Thanks again
      Steve

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

Starter Clicks

Our A-4 had similar issues. It was becoming worse and worse on a recent extended cruise to the North Channel. Once or twice when the engine was warm it even required us to tap the starter with a long handled screw driver while turning the key to get it to start.

I did something that seems to have eliminated the trouble. I took off the starter, disassembled the solenoid and cleaned it. I also put a squirt of spray PTFE dry lubricant on it. While working I noticed that one of the battery contacts had a little corrosion on one of the posts, hidden by the nut. I then reassembled crossed my fingers.

Since that time, no trouble. Notice, however, there are three variables in this experiment: cleaning the solenoid, cleaning the posts and moving the wires to the battery.

Good luck!1
        Mike

Comment

• steve f
          Frequent Contributor
          • Oct 2006

Thanks! Sounds good. Access is easy - I'll give it a shot.
          Steve

Comment

• Carpgold
            • Aug 2005

outcome

Hi, Steve:

I have exactly the same symptoms as you describe in your original post. I'm curious as to the outcome of your experiments with the solenoid.

Bill
            Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30

Comment

• marthur
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2004

Still Working

Steve,

I have put over 100 hours on the engine since cleaning the solenoid and using the dry lubricant spray. Since we live on the boat for a couple of months in the summer and sail more than motor, that time has included many many starts.

I can report that this repair was 100% successful on our boat. We have not had a sticky starter in all that time. Notice, we lubricated everything that could move and cleaned everything that could be cleaned after diassembling the solenoid.

Good luck!

Mike
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X