Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 70.61.201.254
Old 10-15-2020, 07:08 PM

Abrupt and Massive Inflow of Water Into Oil

The boat was in the yard for about a month. On launching, I checked the oil, found it to be clean and at the proper level, opened the seacock and fuel petcock and started the engine with no issues - running smoothly and spitting fine. After running at the dock in forward and reverse I shut down. The next morning, I repeated the process, checking the oil and verifying the spitting, and all was well. I spent about an hour motor sailing at low speed, went onto the dock and shut down for night. The next morning, I checked the oil and found it half a gallon high, completely opaque and milky. A local mechanic, reputable and sympathetic to Atomic 4s, looked at it, checked and verified that the drain hole in the water pump housing was open, and suggested either a cracked block or blown head gasket.

Any other ideas on the cause of this massive influx of water? One other issue of concern to me. When the boat was in the yard, a worker having trouble removing the propeller beat and whaled on it while heating it with a small torch and then a big torch, for most of an hour before an older mechanic showed him how to use a propeller extractor. The yard of course says there is no way this could cause any water influx issue, and the second mechanic, from another yard, agreed. So there is no seal at the back of the engine that could be damaged by this treatment is what I am hearing.

I got a good half gallon of gray-white, foamy oil out of the engine with great effort but the sump is still full. My extractor pump is having difficulty with the cold oil. Is this a situation that I could start the engine and run it enough to warm the oil and try to get more out, then go through the process of changing it several times to see if it clears up - or will this just do more damage?