X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danlindstrom
    • Oct 2004

Starter full of oil

My starter has been getting flaky so I took it out and had it rebuilt. I noticed it had a bunch of oil in it when I pulled it out, and the mechanic who rebuilt it said it wasn't supposed to be wet with oil. My question is: is this normal or do I have a leaky seal that needs to be replaced? My plan was to just put the starter back on, change the oil, and hope that it runs another 30+ years, by which time I'll be long gone. Any observations from others who have removed their starters?
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

First, welcome to the MMI Forum.

The starter should be "dry" and really has nowhere for it to get oil inside unless it was a spill or such. Perhaps if the oil was to high and ran out the open front of the engine it may get on the flywheel and get there via being "slung". Can't really think of any other way for oil to get in.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• BadaBing
      • Jul 2007

Ditto.
      What kind of vessel? Wondering about the mounting level of the engine.
      Bill
      1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
      www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Check the joint where block, oil pan, and flywheel housing meet. There is a large gasket in there that could be leaking. Try running your hand under the flywheel housing and reaching aft to the oil pan. If it is oily the gasket needs to be inspected.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
          First, welcome to the MMI Forum.

The starter should be "dry" and really has nowhere for it to get oil inside unless it was a spill or such. Perhaps if the oil was to high and ran out the open front of the engine it may get on the flywheel and get there via being "slung". Can't really think of any other way for oil to get in.

Dave Neptune
          +1.

Way too high, or if the motor was tilted significantly forward toward the flywheel end, like >15 or 20 degrees. This usually only happens when the motor is moved out of the boat. DAMHIKT.

And welcome to the forum!
          Jeff

sigpic
          S/V Bunny Planet
          1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

Let's see.. Oil floats on water, oil & water in bilge, bilge level gets high & floods the starter.. Maybe?
            But I think you'd see evidence of this sort of thing elsewhere in the boat.
            Last edited by Al Schober; 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• BadaBing
              • Jul 2007

How much overcooked would an A4 have to be for the flywheel to start kicking up oil?
              Bill
              www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                • Nov 2008

Grasping At Straws.....

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                First, welcome to the MMI Forum. Perhaps if the oil was to high and ran out the open front of the engine it may get on the flywheel and get there via being "slung". Can't really think of any other way for oil to get in.
                Dave Neptune
                Leaking diaphragm on a mechanical fuel pump?????

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BadaBing View Post
                  How much overcooked would an A4 have to be for the flywheel to start kicking up oil?
                  Trust me, guys; the bolts holding the flywheel housing can loosen up allowing the oil to leak into the cavity and get slung by the flywheel into the starter; meanwhile the engine is running fine - damhikt!

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    • Jan 2007

John, by the time the pump leaked enough fuel I think the engine would of long since died do to fuel starvation. A slow leak will evaporate off faster than it accumulates in the hot oil, you should be able to smell it though.

Water could get it to that point. From the "full line" on the dipstick even sitting flat I would think it would take more that an extra gallon to get high enough to run out and get slung.

A loose flywheel if it blocks an oil gallery is a good suspect, never had one of these apart to play.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• BadaBing
                      • Jul 2007

A loose flywheel ? Ouch, if one of those bolts backed out enough it would make a very bad sound.
                      Bill
                      www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BadaBing View Post
                        A loose flywheel ? Ouch, if one of those bolts backed out enough it would make a very bad sound.
                        Correct - but it isn't the flywheel studs that I'm talking about, but rather the bolts holding the flywheel housing. If they back out even a tiny bit, or the gasket wasn't bedded, it can allow oil to drip into the base of the flywheel housing, and the ring gear will pick it up and sling it right into the starter.

Comment

• rjkerby
                          • Mar 2014

Oil in starter

Over pressure in engine can force oil past the front air seal and cause oil in starter. That little fact cost me several days in Port Townsend.

Comment

Working...
                          X