Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#26   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 AM

Hook up the plug?

While running the engine on 3 cylinders is there any harm I can do by hooking up the plug wire to that cylinder?
  #27   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
While running the engine on 3 cylinders is there any harm I can do by hooking up the plug wire to that cylinder?

No.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #28   IP: 75.142.49.80
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 AM

[QUOTE
If you feel that way then why don't you fill up the crankcase of your "Atomic" Four with "Marvel Mystery" Oil, motor on over to Kanolabs, and give them a piece of your mind.[/QUOTE]

lol! point taken. But its still silly
  #29   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Exclamation Keep runnig

Keep it running for awhile and it will probably shake loose with a bit of help. As per Mike a bit of 2-stroke in the gas will help, however for the "un-sticking" I would mix closer to 100:1 and when/if it breaks loose then thin the mix a bit and run a few gallons of mix through the engine and then go backto just plain regular. If it starts to stick again repeat a bit longer. Keep the plug wire on and it can run "dry" witout water for about a minute~so you have time to get to the water valve.
Also try opening the gap (atleast.040) a bit on the plugs when running the "mix", it will help the plugs handle the oil at idle. Above idle it won't make much differance.

Dave Neptune
  #30   IP: 128.183.140.38
Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
Kroil is available only (to my knowledge) from its maker, Kanolabs.
Also now available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ADG953YR6NRBF

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ADG953YR6NRBF

#31   IP: 216.115.121.242
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post

No.
Just be careful you don't give your pacemaker a jump

Whiskey-Delta-Four-Zero: Good for hosing down the shaft coupling that is always rusty. Also good to spray on fishing tackle, it attracts halibut I hear.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #32   IP: 74.174.236.84
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Ran out of time, hoping time will help, now.

Well, we ran the engine yesterday for about ten minutes. It actually ran fairly well on just the 3 cyls so I can't wait to see how we'll it runs on all four. We had what seemed like good water flow out the exhaust. We watched the water temp and it moved up to about 130 but then stayed there. The oil pressure read 80 psi and stayed there. I'm not sure how accurate they are since they look original.

We shut down and this morning I went out and check the compression on number 4 and it was still nothing, so back in the the MMO in all cyls and some Blaster in 4, then I put the plugs back in and packed it up. We had to head back north and I won't be able to get to it until July. Here's hoping that time helps it unstick otherwise I may have to see if I can get the head off when I return. Anyone pull the head in a C27? It looks like it can b done without removing the engine.

I took lots of picture of the motor which I will post sometime soon with other questions I have. Thanks to all for your help. This will be a sweet engine when it's running in all 4.
  #33   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Stuck valve or stuck lifter?

Well, I've finally been able to return to work on this engine and get this valve unstuck. The first thing I did was check to see if the compression was still zero in #4 and it is. As my first step, I decided to remove the valve cover to see what it looked like in there. All the valves look nice and oily but when I turn the crank the #4 exhaust lifter is the only one not moving. I appears to be stuck in the up position. If it was free to move, I would have expected the spring to push it back down. The spring looks good. I have pictures if it's helpful.

So, is this a case of a stuck valve or stuck lifter? I'm hoping not to remove the head, although it looks like it has been recently removed.

Gary
  #34   IP: 174.228.200.103
Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 AM

It's a sticky lifter!

Ok, sorry for the last post. I got a wrench on the top of the lifter gave it a little twist and the valve popped down. However, it is sticking in the up position when I crank the engine around. In going to keep working it but any suggestions are still appreciated.
  #35   IP: 108.21.221.192
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM

It's unlikely that the lifter is the part that is sticking. Much more likely is that the valve is gummed up and sticking in the guide. The proper fix is to remove the valve and clean it (and all the others while you have the head off). Short of that, you can try removing the manifold and spraying some solvent (carb cleaner, etc.) in there to loosen the crap and then working the valve up and down a bit manually.
  #36   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 07-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Jeff,
Thanks for your reply but I'm confused.

As soon as I turn the top of the lifter the smallest amount, it snaps down and I can hear the valve closing. I'm assuming that if the lifter wasn't sticking but the valve was, the valve spring would push the lifter back down but the valve would stay open. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Gary
  #37   IP: 173.53.23.94
Old 07-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Afourian MVP

Yes, sorry, but you're wrong. The valve spring actually pulls down on the bottom end of the valve stem. The spring does not push the lifter back down - the bottom end of the valve stem pushes the lifter back down, because the spring is pulling the valve stem down. The lifter is trapped between the cam lobe and the bottom end of the valve stem. The cam lobe pushes the lifter up; the bottom end of the valve stem pushes the lifter down.

However, if the lifter is staying up, it might be sticking a little bit - it should drop back down, although the fit is close enough that it might not do so by gravity alone. I'd be surprised if the lifter is sticking enough to stop the valve from coming back down, unless the valve also is sticking - which is more likely.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #38   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Jeff,
Yes, of course that's how it would have to work. Thanks for the clarification.

Yesterday I was able to work the valve up and down either by pushing from the top with an Allen wrench or from the bottom by twisting the lifter a bit. It's clear that this lifter isn't as free to move as the other lifters and it still concerns me a bit that by twisting it just a little the valve will close. It doesn't take too much effort to push the valve closed from the top either.

What are the chances that this is a sticky lifter and not a sticky valve? Or perhaps a weak valve spring? A sticky valve or weak spring I could fix without major surgery (head off, valve out, etc.); the sticky lifter seems to require a more complete teardown.

Thanks,
Gary

'79 Catalina 27
  #39   IP: 134.39.101.132
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Gary,

I just completed a rebuild on an A4 that had several very sticky lifters that would stick enough to hold their respective valves up. Upon dismantling, there were no broken springs and the valves moved easily. This engine had sat for a long time and I believe had probably overheated shortly before the engine was pulled out. A few of them were so bad I had to hone the lifter bores during the rebuild process.

Given yours is just one lifter and it's on number 4, it's probably just gummed up so you might consider repeated twisting, tapping, and lubrication with MMO of the offending lifter. You may want to thin the MMO a bit with acetone to help it work down into the lifter bore.

Of course you need to make sure the valve stem and spring are in good shape and not contributing to the issue.
  #40   IP: 172.10.155.213
Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Afourian MVP

"Spring Time"

Having just done a rebuild on A4, I will say that the difference in pressure between original valve springs compared to the replacements is substantial. Going with new springs will go a long way in assuring that the sticking lifter/valve will not happen.
Tom
  #41   IP: 134.39.101.132
Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM

One definitely should strongly consider going with the new, heavier springs when doing a valve job or rebuild. That said, when everything is correct, the lifters should follow the cam lobe down on gravity alone.
  #42   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 07-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Update: It's barely stuck

After a few days of treating with MMO and repeately handcranking and pushing the valve back down, it's at a point now where the lifter is still sticking up but it will snap back down with a light tap of the wrench on the side of the lifter. I get a very sharp "snap" as the valve returns. It is clear that this lifter is not as loose in its guide as the others and it is not following the cam, but I can't imagine what's holding it - it doesn't take much of a tap with the wrench to get the valve to return.

I've decided to just continue with this for another couple of days and hopes it finally totally loosens up completely. What are the chances that this will work itself loose if I go ahead and run the engine with it still sticking as it does now?

Gary
79 C27
  #43   IP: 72.82.104.62
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Afourian MVP

With the lifter at it's highest point give it a spray of carb cleaner, and then get it to go back down.
Hopefully there will be room enough for some of it to go down the lifter and wash away the gum-varnish that may be sticking the lifter.
Then go back to putting a oil on it.
MMO oil can do alot, but does not cut away gum as fast as carb cleaner.
  #44   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM

It's running!

Today I put the engine back together have working the MMO into cylinder 4, handcranking and forcing the valve back down repeatedly. Even though it didn't take much to get it back down, it was still sticking. So, I decided short of taking the head off I'd give it a shot and it started and seems to be running quite smoothly. I haven't pulled the plug on number 4 yet by pulling the plug but it seems to be running very smoothly. I'll live with my dream a little before I try that and confirm it's unstuck itself.

Now, I'm concerned about the temperature of the engine. After letting it run for about 10 min the temperature gauge read 200. This appears to be the original gauge and I don't know if it reliable or not. Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems like I should be seeing something closer to 150-160 for my fresh water intake.

The exhaust has a steady "putt-putt" of water coming out the stern exhaust. I don't know if that's the right amount or not. One indication that it was getting water was that I had left the hose on top of the exhaust manifold disconnected by mistake and there was a steady stream of water shooting out of it before I saw that mistake.

In a recent discussion with Moyer I confirmed that the exhaust on the C27 is correct.

Should I be concerned? Is it time for a new impeller or something else?

My installation is a late model A4 on a 79 Cataline 27.

Thanks,
Gary
  #45   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 07-14-2013, 01:01 PM

It's running! Correction

I may have misstated my cooling system. I said it was a fresh water system. I believe I should have said it's a raw water system in that it gets its cooling water from a through hull. This was recently cleaned, btw. Sorry.
  #46   IP: 67.235.27.130
Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagabriele View Post
Now, I'm concerned about the temperature of the engine. After letting it run for about 10 min the temperature gauge read 200. This appears to be the original gauge and I don't know if it reliable or not. Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems like I should be seeing something closer to 150-160 for my fresh water intake.
Gary-
Can you touch the head for a few seconds without burning your fingers
(Hint: wet them first please )
If not, your gauge is likely accurate.
If you can, I'd invest in a new gauge.
IMHO, the temp and oil gauges must be functional.

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #47   IP: 173.53.23.94
Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagabriele View Post
The exhaust has a steady "putt-putt" of water coming out the stern exhaust. I don't know if that's the right amount or not. One indication that it was getting water was that I had left the hose on top of the exhaust manifold disconnected by mistake and there was a steady stream of water shooting out of it before I saw that mistake.

Should I be concerned? Is it time for a new impeller or something else?
Sounds correct. The hose on top of the exhaust manifold will discharge a steady stream of water - but that stream dumps into the exhaust downstream of the hot section, and into your wet lift muffler. In the muffler, the water accumulates until there is a "batch" of water large enough that the exhaust pressure blows it out the tailpipe. So you get that "batching" effect.

Here is what mine looked like on the hard, right after I re-installed my overhauled engine and got it fired up for the first time after the overhaul:

[YOUTUBE]J-ts7GJ1oHg[/YOUTUBE]

#48   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 07-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
If original, the Catalina 27 exhaust does not have a waterlift. It's a straight run from the water injection to the transom.
Attached Images

prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #49   IP: 173.53.23.94
Old 07-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Well then, that's different!

#50   IP: 174.48.231.129
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. My manifold is definitely too hot to touch so the gauge is probably working. Also, I do have the setup shown by Neil from the Catalina 27 parts catalog. After looking through some more information on the site, I think I need to go through the water inlet side and make sure that the cooling passageways are clear. I'll probably order a new impeller as well list to be safe.

As always, thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions.

Gary

Tags
c27, stuck valve