X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dplidr@gmail.com
    • Sep 2019

valve spring keepers stuck inside spring cup washers

Looking for advice before I make a new tool: I've easily removed 5 of the 8 valves - lifting the cup-washer and spring exposed the two-part keepers. Small pen magnet easily snagged the keepers. Each set of valve/spring/cup-washer/keeper goes into it's own labeled bag for later exam and reuse. Will be replacing the springs later this week - and possibly the guides if they are too worn - will check with the gauges but so far seem OK.

The other three valves I cannot get the cup washer to separate and rise off the keepers. No sign of rust (everything in this engine is greasy/oily sludged up and the other 5 are oily and look fine. The stuck keepers are on exhaust valves #1E, #2E, and #4E. I've tried penetrating oils, grabbing the valve with vice grips and rotating against the cups, etc. No Joy.

I'm about to cut up a half-inch socket to fit over the lifter adjustment bolt with a right sized hole on the drive end to force the cup-washer up and clear the keepers - sized to just fit between the lifted valve and tappet. Then tap down on the lifted valve with a wooden mallet. Hope to force the cup-washer off by driving down the valve stem and keepers into the drilled out socket.

Any tricks I can try before I go to this level of effort?

thanks in advance.
    -DaveL
    Ishmael22DPL
    C&C-33 1976 A4-RWC
    Peason35 1969 FWC Yanmar3HM
    Evelyn 26 OOD 1979
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Nope, sounds like a reasonable next step. I've done similar, but a think I used a pair of wooden wedges between the lower seat and the tappet.
    Make sure the oil drain passages are closed off with pieces of a rag. You don't want the keepers to escape to the oil pan.

Comment

• Ando
      • Jul 2019

If I recall correctly, rotating the cam shaft helps to free up some tension. I’m sure you’ve tried it, but just in case you haven’t...hope it helps.

Comment

• Surcouf
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2018

been there done that... see post 67,70 and 72. Of course I was doing that with the head removed...

Last edited by Surcouf; 09-15-2020, 03:10 AM.
        Surcouf
        A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

have a compressor? Can try air squirter/gun.

Comment

• dplidr@gmail.com
            • Sep 2019

Good ideas on the thread in which Don used a large scewdriver to lever up the cup-washer and tap down the valve to free the keepers. I'm repeatedly amazed at how much physical "abuse" is OK to use on this engine. Will try that before I create a special tool and report back.
            Ishmael22DPL
            C&C-33 1976 A4-RWC
            Evelyn 26 OOD 1979

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

I have used "end cutting" style wire cutters with a bit of success. I just exposed the keepers and placed the cutting edges in the gap where the keepers are split. Just give a careful squeeze and they will usually pop loose. If just one pops the other will be well exposed for a wiggle or a tap.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• dplidr@gmail.com
                • Sep 2019

Success!
                Used a wide flat pry bar on edge to lever the cup-washer up and tapped on the raised valve - popped the cup up off the keepers. Just removed those three valve assemblies as the UPS truck arrived with the new springs and gauges from Moyer. - better news is that the guides are in spec and do not need to be replaced. Happy moment!

The new springs are about 3/4 inch longer than the old ones and E4 spring was broken. Once I clean out the valves and seats this should improve compression.

Now to read up how to complete the tear-down.

thanks all,
                -DaveL
                Ishmael22DPL
                C&C-33 1976 A4-RWC
                Evelyn 26 OOD 1979

Comment

Working...
                X