X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahoneymik
    • Feb 2014

Leaking water pump.

I have a new to me 1977 C30 with an Atomic 4 engine. It appears of me that the water pump is leaking pretty badly.
    Can anyone verify from the video links below that that is my problem? Or could it be a cracked engine block?
    And if it is the water pump, which replacement pump should I buy? I'd like to upgrade if that's possible.
    Also, what extra parts should I have on hand for future repairs?
    Thank you in advance!
    -Michael.

• hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Looks like you have an Oberdorfer with lots of goop trying to seal the impeller housing cover plate. Best solution is to buy a MM 502 pump via the on-line catalogue, and then rebuild the Oberdorfer as a spare (if it is still viable, which you will discover upon disassembly). Check out the Moyer catalogue for rebuilding kits.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Woo hoo, more C-30s!

Michael,

Welcome...Quite a few of us around here with similar vintage C-30's.

I'd take the pump off the boat and disassemble it on a work bench so you can examine the condition. I was able to buy a rebuild kit from Moyer several years ago, and my pump is still working..if you have $$, the replacement Moyer pump is really sweet!

A "spares kit" is kinda like your first aid kit. Everyone's idea of "essential spares" is different. I have a spare of every gasket the motor has, and two of some that get used frequently (carb, t-stat, water pump.). Probably a bit overkill...
      Other spares I carry: Racor filter element, polishing filters x3, impeller already mounted on spare shaft (edit, but as RC notes below..not in the pump!), a fully rebuilt mech fuel pump, & rebuilt carb, a jar of Permatex #3 on board for gasket coating for any of these installations. Like I said..probably a bit overkill, but my thought is that if I had an issue, I should just be able to bolt something on and be up & running again..the reality is that usually, you aren't in a position to work on the motor when it quits, so the sails go up to get you to the dock..you curse the engine, and come back a few days later and assess and re-visit the situation and none of those spares were used anyway.
      Last edited by sastanley; 04-18-2014, 09:34 PM.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

certainly looks like the pump is leaking. The MMI pump is beautiful, and the one to get.
        As Hanley said, rebuild the current pump as a spare. Check it after rebuild, to make sure. Dont store a pump with the impeller installed.

For a cheaper option, just rebuild the pump you have. Go from there.

Comment

• Vermont30
          • Jun 2013

I'd check that motor mount it's leaking directly on. I had to redo mine from a leaking pump from the PO. I also installed the greaseless pump from Moyer.

Comment

• Mahoneymik
            • Feb 2014

Thank you!

Thank you all for your responses.
            Looks like I'll buy the replacement and do what I can to rebuild the old. And I should probably spring for the spare parts kit too.
            I have a feeling I'm going to become one of Moyer Marines best customers.
            I already bought the repair manual and the DVD's.
            BTW, I think my "work bench" is gonna be my kitchen table. Hah.
            Thanks again for your help!
            -Michael.

Comment

Working...
            X