X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty Levenson
    • Nov 2004

almost ready....

Attached are some photos. Still need a few wires and install the alt. The fresh water heat exchanger will later be in the starboard sail locker. Oil filter and sensor will be on a near-by bulkhead. Raw water in and out hoses will be in a 5 gallon bucket with a garden house keeping it cool.

I have an old piece of pipe to screw into galvanized elbow for exhaust....just for the test, of course.

Any observations that might head off potential problems greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Kelly
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2004

Great looking job, Marty. Your plugs are wired in the correct order so that's one less thing to worry about.

I don't know why but that orange paint looks like it will last decades. Perhaps because it's so shiny?

Good luck with the testing!
      Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Marty Levenson View Post
        Did I read correctly that I will need a new flywheel housing gasket if I remove it, even though the engine is unused? I followed the manual and put Permatex Aviation sealer on both sides of the lower half.
        Most likely, yes. When you pull the housing off, the gasket will get destroyed.

At least that was my experience - I had to remove mine only a few days after putting it all together, with the engine unused.
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Beautiful Job

Just one thing - put a 90 degree on the PCV and run it vertical.

Comment

• Newenglandah
            • Mar 2012

Looks Great! But for bench testing I would recommend a 55 gallon drum for your water supply. With only 5g you'll heat up a lot faster than you think.

Comment

• Newenglandah
              • Mar 2012

then again, mine is still raw cooled, just feeding your heat exchanger.... 5g might do it.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

When I bench-tested mine, I filled a big tub with water and left the garden hose in the tub. The raw water pump sucked the water out of the tub, and I let the discharge just run out on the pavement. I left the garden hose running in the tub and adjusted it to a flow rate that kept the level in the tub constant - i.e., so that it was filling the tub at the same rate the engine was sucking the water out of the tub.

I figured that would most closely resemble the "real world" of pulling water from the surrounding environment.
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                  • Nov 2004

water for testing...and another picture

Thanks Gents,

I was planning to do what Rust did: garden hose in the bucket.

Hanleycliff: Thanks for looking at the details of my set-up! We had the PCV valve horizontal on our old A4, and it worked great. This is the first I've heard that it should be vertical...?

Guess I'll order the gasket today....sigh....

I realized I didn't upload a picture of the water pump side last night....so one more...

Thanks!
                  Attached Files
                  Marty
                  1967 Tartan 27
                  Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

I'm totally diggin' that paint job!
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                      • Nov 2004

Tartan 27 questions...

We are going to pull the old A4 in the next two weeks. Any specific advice for T27? The boat is in the water. Lots of parts have been removed: ex manifold, starter, alt, flywheel, gas pump, water pump.

Planning on using the main halyard with a come-along as the lift. Will use boom vang block from aft of boom to the halyard to pull the engine aft as needed. Will have a pair of straps under the pan attached to a safety line....probably use the spinnaker halyard for that.

Inside the cabin, wondering how to deal with the centerboard pennant. Just lower board and disconnect from the pulley? Also wondering best way to pull the engine forward enough to clear the bulkhead before going up. Am planning on a line from the A4 forward to the boom.

Thanks!
                      Marty
                      Marty
                      1967 Tartan 27
                      Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                        • Nov 2004

Idea for a future thread....

...but please don't hijack this one yet!

Screw ups! Preventable problems we have created or barely avoided.

What made me think of it was nearly loosing my hand when I disconnected the metal exhaust section from the manifold. Wasn't thinking what else was holding it up.....answer: nothing. As I pulled the second screw the combined weight of pipes, muffler and exhaust hose fell about 2" and landed on the palm of my hand against the engine. Amazingly, I was only a little bit sore.

Letting the EZ Out piece fall into the oil port is another example.

Come to think of it, that might be too long a list if we all get started....
                        Marty
                        1967 Tartan 27
                        Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                          • Nov 2004

paint

Thanks! Volvo gray and old cat yellow. Hope it looks that good in ten years!
                          Marty
                          1967 Tartan 27
                          Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2010

Inside the cabin, wondering how to deal with the centerboard pennant.
                            Is it in the way of hoisting the engine?

Also wondering best way to pull the engine forward enough to clear the bulkhead before going up.
                            When we pulled my engine out, I just pushed or pulled on it to help it clear the bulkhead until it was up and out. It seems like it's this massively heavy thing, but actually, once you've pulled off everything you have so far, you've removed a lot of weight. The whole engine weighs only about 350 lbs. or so, so by now, you're probably closer to 275 or something. Yeah, that's a lot of weight if it falls on your or your car, but not really all that much hanging from a line - it's actually pretty easy to push it this way or that, if you're a fair-sized guy (I'm 6'1" and 2(mumble) pounds).
                            - Bill T.
                            - Richmond, VA

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Marty, there is already a thread for that..I think Neil started it.."captains confessions" or something like that, although searching on that didn't turn up anything.

The engine all up weighs 310 lbs. according to the C&C site. As you remove components it gets a little lighter. I might try a 4:1 tackle to lift it. (I have an aft boom mainsheet, so i have plenty of line for this. I think a come-a-long might be too slow...although it may help for pulling the engine forward out of the hole.

lat64 has some good pics of his engine removal..in the Alaska snow no less.
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
                                MMI Webmaster
                                • Oct 2004

Shawn:

It's in the off-topic area. Somehow, I had turned it "off" along the way, but it should be back there now.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X