Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 98.141.38.153
Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Fuel system help

Along with the electrical upgrades on Dearbhail, my next project is to correct the fuel system. I haven't had fuel issues and want to keep it that way. I have a shut off valve on top of the fuel tank and twisted copper tubing leading to an older model Groco fuel filter. I haven't been able to open the filter to drain it or replace the filter element. The outlet from the fuel filter is a small section of twisted copper tubing going into several loops of unknown age or marine grade fuel hose before going to the fuel pump. My system does not have a fuel polishing filter or an anti-syphon valve installed. The USCG requires the anti-syphon device and MM recommends the polishing filter. I have the Racor fuel filter already.

So here are my questions
1- What sizes am I looking at for the copper tubing and rubber sections of the fuel hose?
2- Where does the anti-syphon valve go in the system? Out let side of the fuel filter? Before the fuel filter?
3- Is there a height issue when mounting the new filter? I would prefer higher than tank top level if possible for easy access.
4- Grounding? The existing system has some seriously worn and frayed wiring. It is not well grounded.

Mark
s/v Dearbhail

Last edited by s/v Dearbhail; 11-10-2008 at 08:08 PM.
  #2   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 AM

I'll try my best to answer these...
Instead of an anti-syphon vent, maybe its a gas tank vent you're referring to? I don't know anyone with an anti-syphon vent in their gas lines, which would probably defeat the fuel pumps ability to pull fuel.

Hoses- depends on the fittings. Most common is 5/16" rubber fuel hose. Copper- you can switch to all rubber hose if you like.
I put a small ball valve just before my fuel/water serperator filter that is easily switched off when I leave the boat, and is also handy for changing the filter without emptying the gas tank into the bilge.

The gas deck fill fitting needs to be grounded so that a spark can't happen when the nozzle touches the fitting.
  #3   IP: 216.54.1.35
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks for getting back to me but I think I found my answer here- http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/bo...el/183-568.htm

"Anti-siphon protection” is a term applied to the means of preventing the siphon action of permitting fuel to continue to flow out of the fuel tank in the event there is a break or rupture in a fuel distribution line, or if a fitting in the fuel line loosens, creating a leak.

"Anti-siphon protection” may be accomplished by one or more of the following methods:

(a) Keep all parts of the fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel line connection at the carburetor above the level of the top of the fuel tank. The tank top level is determined with the boat in its “static floating position.” Practically, the fuel pump and fuel filter(s) must also be above the tank top.

(b) Install an anti-siphon device at the tank withdrawal fitting. The fuel distribution line may then run below the level of the tank top. A filter may be installed between the fuel tank withdrawal fitting and the anti-siphon device."