Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Tartan

#1   IP: 151.203.229.27
Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Neophyte

I have just become the caretaker of a 1976 Tartan 30. That means I'm doing all the work on the boat, storing her in my shop and getting her launched and hauled each year. The owners grew a little too old to handle her anymore but still wanted to sail occasionally. Out of this arrangement I get to sail her. She lives in a slip in the summer, and on Cape Cod that is a situation I could otherwise never have myself. Long ago I had a Morgan 34 with an Atomic 4, but since then all my boats have been diesel. So I'm happy to see Mr. Moyer's web site and services, and to have this forum to provide information about Tashtego's engine.
  #2   IP: 70.108.204.173
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Afourian MVP

Welcome

Welcome new Tashtigo owner. I purchased a 1975 Sabe 28 (at about half price) in Nov last year so I am in your shoes. I am in the middle of giving my engine a poor man's overhaul.

Don's site is great. If you buy anythng from Don (which I strongly recommend) be sure to get his Atomic 4 manual. It is a good read to bring you up to speed and will easily pay for itself in nuggets of advise gained from experience. It has helped me backfill my lack of experience.

Welcome aboard!
  #3   IP: 67.169.60.169
Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM

neophyte

Make sure you look at the tartan sailing yahoo group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tartansailing/, there are lots of T30 owners and lots of info. I have 72 T30 with the original A4 and both this site and the tartan site are invaluable.
  #4   IP: 76.24.210.15
Old 05-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Atomic 4's are mysterious

Hardy as they are, they can also be maddening. Having Don - so amazingly available - is a blessing that has saved me money, heartache, stress, and kept me sailing for 10 seasons. If you're new to the boat/engine, I strongly suggest buying Don's videos. They are very clear, complete, and (believe it or not) funny - Don has a dry and wise sense of humor about the A4. Fair winds.