• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uniexpany
    • Jun 2006

Pearson 30 fuel tank/manual shut off valve

Hi everybody -

I have two year old gas in my P30 and need to take care of the problem. Here are my questions:

1. Has anybody ever taken out the pickup tube from their P30 fuel tank without pulling the whole tank? And was there a screen at the bottom of it?

2. What is the on direction for the manual shutoff valve - is it in-line with the fuel hose or across it?

Thanks in advance - I have a new Moyer engine and have not been able to get much enjoyment due to my bad gas problems! Chris
  • JimG
    • Mar 2005

If it isn't open when "in line" with the hose, it's a very evil and misleading valve!
    S/V Latis
    Brookings, OR
    Ranger 33

Comment

• uniexpany
      • Jun 2006

Jim -

An evil valve on my boat would not be a big surprise. Do you think it matters which way the short/long end of the handle are pointing or do you think they are reversible so long as they are inline with the flow?

Thanks! Chris

Comment

• smosher
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2006

I have a 74 P30 # 572 and the shutoff valve would be at 90 degrees to shutoff the gas flow.

Comment

• uniexpany
          • Jun 2006

Fuel problem resolved, is the solenoid shut off really needed

Hello -

I now also own a shutoff ball valve like you describe. My real fuel issue turned out to be a leaky copper fuel line fitting at the top of the fuel tank - whenever the engine was running quite a lot of fuel was leaking onto the top of the fuel tank. The tank had been pulled ten years ago when I pulled the boat and I guess when the mechanic put the tank back in they somehow bent the fitting and it has been leaking ever since - although I never was aware of it until the weaker suction of the electric fuel pump caused the motor to shut down due to lack of fuel.

I replaced the old copper tubing with new rubber fuel line, a new shut off valve and the squeeze ball recommended by Don. I have not included the old solenoid shut off valve in the initial installation although I have left room to set it up - is the solenoid really needed with the electric fuel pump?

Thanks! Chris

Comment

• Don Moyer
            • Oct 2004

Chris,

I'm going to defer to someone with more experience interpreting Coast Guard regulations than I have to weigh in on whether or not a solenoid valve (or any automatic anti-siphon valve) is required on top of the tank, in lieu of a manual shut-off valve.

As a practical matter, if anyone does want to install an automatic anti-siphon valve, I personally prefer an electrical solenoid valve over a spring-loaded check valve, since the solenoid valve imposes no noticeable additional head loss for the fuel pump to overcome.

Don

Comment

• gtmu22
              • May 2016

Chris
              I just resolved with the same problem on my P-30. #312
              Pumped out tank from fuel filler pipe, about 3 gal. Cleared fuel line by disconnected fuel pump from carb. and manually pumped remaining fuel into empty pop bottle. Drained sediment bowel. Put 3 gal. of lead free gas in tank, engine started right up. As far as I know there isn't a screen on either end of pick tube. When handle of fuel shut off valve is 90* to fuel line, no fuel will flow. Hope this helps.
              Jerry Murray

Originally posted by uniexpany View Post
              Hi everybody -

I have two year old gas in my P30 and need to take care of the problem. Here are my questions:

1. Has anybody ever taken out the pickup tube from their P30 fuel tank without pulling the whole tank? And was there a screen at the bottom of it?

2. What is the on direction for the manual shutoff valve - is it in-line with the fuel hose or across it?

Thanks in advance - I have a new Moyer engine and have not been able to get much enjoyment due to my bad gas problems! Chris

Comment

Working...
              X