Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 98.242.190.174
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 AM

Vinegar flush

What's the longest you've left vinegar in your cooling system?

I am considering doing an acid wash with vinegar again before my maiden voyage and was wondering if it would be worth leaving it in there for an entire week. My concern is mostly for the hoses and impeller. Any experience?

I'm still not getting as much coolant flow as I would like and I can't justify spending that much money on a piece of bronze that small (m7 cam shoe).

I realize that if I am unsatisfied with my previous flushes I could "step it up" to HCl but I don't think there should be any difference between an HCl bath and a LONG vinegar bath. Some ions are doing all the work, its just that the solubility of the rust and carbonates is greater at the lower pH potentially provided by HCl. But then... everybody dilutes and unwittingly buffers their HCl before adding it anyways. Plus handling vinegar is safer for myself, my dock and my boat. I think the pool supply lobby has brainwashed everybody No evidence to back up these wild assertions of course.

Tags
acid flush