Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 163.181.251.9
Old 10-25-2004, 02:55 PM

Advice about fuel pumps

I acquired my 33-year-old project boat in Dec 2003 from a charity, and now that I have all the DC replaced, I would like to start the engine (ser # 173938).

The engine catches with starter fluid but doesn't run, which leads me to eliminate everything except fuel supply.

It had a new carb and SS upgrade in 1999 and was overhauled in 2001/2002. To the best of my knowledge (i.e. talking to other waifs at the marina) it was never started after being re-installed. A Napa electric fuel pump has been installed inline without an oil pressure gauge. There is a new fuel filter/water separator in my dock box and an old one attached to the bulkhead with a screwdriver sticking out of one end. The gasoline hose is new and has a squeeze bulb primer.

I would like to replace the fuel pump, but I don't know if I should get a rebuilt mechanical pump, an engine-mounted electrical pump, or a bulkhead mounted one. Access to this area is good but not unlimited.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.