• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMEASON
    • Sep 2021

Atomic 4 Alternator Failure

I have an Atomic 4 Alternator Failure with symptoms below:

-Engine starts and runs with no noticeable issues.
    -Engine runs until Battery 1 is dead. (3 to 3-1/2 hours)
    -Engine runs with combined 1+2 Battery it will run until both are dead. 7-1/2 hours.

No measurable output from the Alternator (Less than 2 years old)

The alternator was a Single Wire Internal regulated unit.

Is there a fuse in the ignition/exciter circuit?

What would cause this?

rmeason
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Those single wire alternators are pretty simple. Connect them to the battery, spin them, they make current. So first questions is: what voltage do you measure at the alternator output? If same as the battery, the alternator isn't doing it's thing.
    If you're confident in your abilities, you can dig into it yourself. Recommend you take it to an alternator shop and have it checked. The internal regulator may be fried.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I have a 105A Delco 10Si single wire alternator and have had it apart replacing the regulator (no reg failure, just taming down the output voltage) and adding an AC tap for the tachometer. There is no fuse or other overcurrent protection inside.

You do know:
      1. The alternator needs a battery connected to work.
      2. The alternator needs to spin up to roughly 1000 engine RPM (1700 alternator RPM approx.) to start producing. After it starts it will continue producing at lower RPM down to idle but it needs to be goosed to get it going.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
        Those single wire alternators are pretty simple. Connect them to the battery, spin them, they make current. So first questions is: what voltage do you measure at the alternator output? If same as the battery, the alternator isn't doing it's thing.
        If you're confident in your abilities, you can dig into it yourself. Recommend you take it to an alternator shop and have it checked. The internal regulator may be fried.
        Replacing the regulators is pretty easy and they are cheap, but if you aren't up for it definitely take it to a shop.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• RMEASON
          • Sep 2021

Alternator Follow Up.

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
          I tested the alternator using the following method:

-Tested battery voltage before starting engine. (12.87 volts)
          -Started Engine
          -Throttle to 1000 RPM
          -Re Tested battery voltage at both battery terminal and on Alternator (12.87 volts)
          -After running for 30 minutes tested voltage (12.47 volts at both battery and alternator)

Pulled the alternator and took it to auto zone. They put it on their machine and got a fail. I have a new alternator and want to make sure I don't damage it when installing. I cannot get any info on the actual voltage that should flow from the Exciter Wire to the positive coil?

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by RMEASON View Post
            I tested the alternator using the following method:

-Tested battery voltage before starting engine. (12.87 volts)
            -Started Engine
            -Throttle to 1000 RPM
            -Re Tested battery voltage at both battery terminal and on Alternator (12.87 volts)
            -After running for 30 minutes tested voltage (12.47 volts at both battery and alternator)

Pulled the alternator and took it to auto zone. They put it on their machine and got a fail. I have a new alternator and want to make sure I don't damage it when installing. I cannot get any info on the actual voltage that should flow from the Exciter Wire to the positive coil?
            If you have a single-wire alternator, there is no connection to the coil nor is there an exciter wire.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• RMEASON
              • Sep 2021

Alternator Follow Up Is the Exciter Wire Needed?

New 55 Amp Alternator Instructions: Single Output/Internal Regulation.

GENERAL: Your new API Alternator is internally regulated with a single output terminal, very similar to the original
              Motorola alternator used on the Atomic 4 for many years. There are only two terminals which you will need to understand to install your new alternator: The OUTPUT terminal, and the EXC terminal.
              OUTPUT TERMINAL: The output terminal is the terminal next to the letter B next to it on the housing. The output terminal should be connected to the battery bus in the very same way that your original Motorola was connected, usually
              by an orange 8 gauge wire that connects to the ammeter.
              If you do not have an ammeter, or the ammeter does not work, you can connect the output terminal of the API directly
              to the big battery cable on the starter solenoid. When connected in this fashion, you can monitor the alternator performance by installing a volt meter in the cockpit (in place of the ammeter) and simply connect the voltmeter to any reliable source of DC power, usually directly from the ignition switch. A volt meter does not need to be connected in series
              with the output of the alternator, so the heavy gauge wire that originally ran from the alternator to the ammeter, is unnecessary.
              EXC TERMINAL: "Connect the EXC terminal to the positive terminal of the coil using a 14 gauge wire so that the fields
              of the alternator will be excited when the ignition switch is turned on."
              MoyerMarineinc.
              PARTS
              Connecting your new
              12v 55amp API alternator
              www.moyermarine.com • 717-766-877

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by RMEASON View Post
                New 55 Amp Alternator Instructions: Single Output/Internal Regulation.

GENERAL: Your new API Alternator is internally regulated with a single output terminal, very similar to the original
                Motorola alternator used on the Atomic 4 for many years. There are only two terminals which you will need to understand to install your new alternator: The OUTPUT terminal, and the EXC terminal.
                OUTPUT TERMINAL: The output terminal is the terminal next to the letter B next to it on the housing. The output terminal should be connected to the battery bus in the very same way that your original Motorola was connected, usually
                by an orange 8 gauge wire that connects to the ammeter.
                If you do not have an ammeter, or the ammeter does not work, you can connect the output terminal of the API directly
                to the big battery cable on the starter solenoid. When connected in this fashion, you can monitor the alternator performance by installing a volt meter in the cockpit (in place of the ammeter) and simply connect the voltmeter to any reliable source of DC power, usually directly from the ignition switch. A volt meter does not need to be connected in series
                with the output of the alternator, so the heavy gauge wire that originally ran from the alternator to the ammeter, is unnecessary.
                EXC TERMINAL: "Connect the EXC terminal to the positive terminal of the coil using a 14 gauge wire so that the fields
                of the alternator will be excited when the ignition switch is turned on."
                MoyerMarineinc.
                PARTS
                Connecting your new
                12v 55amp API alternator
                www.moyermarine.com • 717-766-877
                That isn't single-wire. It does accurately describe how to hook up an alternator that needs an on signal.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Connecting a true single wire alternator as described may cause the engine to continue running when the key switch is turned off. I had an internal regulator replaced by a reputable shop and without asking they generously added an excite wire so the single wire alternator would jump to life without the initial RPM bump. The unintended consequence was the self excite circuitry inside the alternator energized the excite wire resulting in a 12V backfeed to the coil.

First time I tried it I couldn't shut the engine off, wound up pulling the choke. Connecting the excite wire to the solenoid R terminal (energized only while the starter was engaged) worked pretty well but later on I abandoned the redundant excite wire because it was totally unnecessary. It's not that hard to bump the RPM on start up.
                  Last edited by ndutton; 09-29-2021, 09:58 AM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                    Connecting a true single wire alternator as described may cause the engine to continue running when the key switch is turned off. I had an internal regulator replaced by a reputable shop and without asking they generously added an excite wire so the single wire alternator would jump to life without the initial RPM bump.

First time I tried it I couldn't shut the engine off, wound up pulling the choke. I then connected the excite wire to the solenoid R terminal (energized only while the starter was engaged) and it worked pretty well but later on I abandoned the redundant excite wire because it was totally unnecessary.
                    The other fix is to add a diode so current only goes from coil to alternator and not the other way
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• RMEASON
                      • Sep 2021

Alternator Follow Up.

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                      That isn't single-wire. It does accurately describe how to hook up an alternator that needs an on signal.
                      Installed new API alternator and it works perfectly? Nothing different or changed. Must be gremlins?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X