Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 38.27.109.137
Old 10-08-2021, 05:21 PM
Former Admin

Tidbits from a visit to the Annapolis Power Boat Show today

• According to a broker friend we saw there, attendance today was brisk, and the previous day (“VIP Day”) was awful. He also said that the boat market (both new and used) continues to be red-hot. The show itself seemed a bit smaller than in previous years.

• The award for the pimp boat of the year goes to a 40-footer or so with four outboards @ 600 HP each.

• Folks were posing for pics standing beside the outboards of another boat which were more than six feet tall.

• A boat we asked about, a 32-footer with only three of a smaller size, burns 100 gallons per hour at a cruising speed of around 35 knots. This configuration is more expensive than a single diesel in the same boat. Obviously, economy is not the deciding factor.

• There was a single electric boat on display. Maybe 30 feet or so and with a disgusting fake teak rail. Interestingly, the shaft was at least 1.25 inches in diameter, but the prop was tiny. Oh, and it had a small bow thruster.

• Westerbeke did not have its own booth, but one outfit had one on display. Mercs dominated the outboards, and names you would associate with truck engines the inboards.

• A fellow we know who was manning a booth for a marina selling Yamaha outboards told us that delivery time for Yamaha outboards to dealers is now a year and a half. All production is going first to the OEM guys.

Bill

Last edited by W2ET; 10-09-2021 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Length of pimp boat corrected.
  #2   IP: 134.41.129.111
Old 10-09-2021, 02:12 AM
Afourian MVP

Wow, incredible. Thanks for the post Bill.

Boat sales and resale market is hot here on the East Coast of Canada as well. Everyone that put a boat for sale at our club got close to asking price and sold in days to a couple of weeks.

Covid has kept people from their normal activities and they are making life changes that allow them to enjoy life is this new environment. Some moved from Apartments and bought a house. The home building and real estate market is hot here as well.

I've heard of long waits for engine parts and one guy has had a new Beta Marine Diesel delivery delayed since the beginning of summer. Everything sort of gets pushed back.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #3   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 10-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
I think I have posted about this before.
Between myself and my friends, we have tried to buy at least one boat, one airplane, and one camper.
1. Boats are either floating junk or sold before we get to them.
2. Campers were going for so much more than a few years ago my camper buying buddy gave up.
3. Airplanes were either flying junk or sold before we got to them. The airplane purchase finally did come off at what I thought was about 30% over the "normal" price and it involved a 3,000 mile delivery.
4. Don't get me going on houses, I get unsolicited offers to buy my house.
  #4   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 10-09-2021, 11:09 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
I had a heck of a time selling my ole E35MKII a few years back and needed to lower the price to "give away" status. To buy another boat we had 2 sell out from under us and got the 3rd all the same model and make. I just listed the Bene and am getting solid offers in 48 hours, yeah it is a hot market.

Dave Neptune