• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dreadnaughty13
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2019

Shifting Cable Problems - Cable & Sheath Moving From Cockpit

Motor is running great but I'm having trouble getting the shifting cable to work properly. In short, after some use, the cable and sheath move together from the helm when trying to shift rather than shifting the transmission. The motor shifts relatively easily by hand.

It has a very stable bulkhead mount in the engine bay, but comes up to the cockpit through a thin (1/2") SS tube to the shift control on the helm. There isn't a great way to stabilize the cable at the helm that I can see. We have a couple of drilled and tapped bolts in the tube to try to secure the cable but these are slipping after multiple uses causing the cable + sheath to move rather than the sheath staying in place and the cable smoothly moving.

I'm considering fabricating something similar to this prior to it entering the tubing or adding a 3rd bolt to stabilize the cable in the tube but wanted to see if someone else has a better solution:
    Custom cables & controls made to fit, manufacturer parking brake cables for automotive and industrial applications. Cablecraft Push Pull with Teleflex Morse style cable options. Large selection of hardware fittings for most cable and linkage applications.
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

Make sure the cable itself runs easily in the sheath. They corrode internally and can get too stiff for any clamp to hold.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• Dreadnaughty13
      Frequent Contributor
      • Aug 2019

Thanks, yes it is a brand new teleflex 6400 cable

Comment

Working...
      X