X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphibiographer
    • Apr 2013

Head Stud Leaking Cooling Water

Hello, I'm wondering what can happen when a head stud is leaking raw saltwater on top of the head? I have a stripped thread of one stud in the block and need to drill a tap it, but am wondering if I can run the engine for a 5-day trip or will that cause water to get into the pistons etc. and seize the engine? Or is it more a problem in the long term due to corrosion?
    Thanks!
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

See this video.

Bill
    Last edited by Administrator; 08-07-2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Amphibiographer
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
      See this video.

Bill
      Thanks for this Bill! We have stripped threads in the block since the stud won't tighten, and we tried another engine stud in it too and it doesn't tighten. So we probably need to drill and tap a new thread.

But it will take time to get the drill and tap kit and studs so we're wondering if we run the engine is there any danger of raw water leaking into the block or cylinders etc. due to the stripped bottom threads and the leaking of water from the top? We have a work commitment for a week for which we need to use the boat. So we're wondering if running the engine for this could cause problems? It's a saliboat and we would be sailing too.
      Thanks, Terry

Comment

• Amphibiographer
        • Apr 2013

We chose not to run the engine more and waited 6 weeks for the drill and tap kit to arrive!! It was surprisingly fairly easy to do the work following the written instructions and the video by Don! And we did it with the head on inside the very constricted and difficult work space inside our 27' C&C. If you are considering doing it don't be afraid! If 2 non-mechanically inclined people can do this so can you!

Comment

Working...
        X