Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 173.59.144.165
Old 05-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Starting Troubleshooting

S/V = Columbia 8.3
Atomic 4 = Late Model
Starter = Delco
Alternator = Motorola

Why happened: Motoring out the engine stopped. Actually, I was switching on the depth gauge and it would not turn on. (This is a common issue due to a lose connection that vibrates lose.) Would not crank or re-start. Sailed back into slip. (thank goodness for proper wind direction)

Problem: She will not turn over. With key ignition, there is no indication of her trying to do anything. (i.e. no click, no starter turn)

Symptoms: Attempted to short the solenoid (crossing the "s" terminal with the battery cable terminal) and have received various 'symptoms.' First, just a spark. Next, nothing. Next, just a spark. So on and so forth for a minute or two. Batteries are fully charged at full float on charger. Pulled D cap and plugs off to reduce any 'resistance.' (not really sure why I did this...) Have not put them back on. Receiving power (light) to the key ignition instrument panel in cockpit.

Next, click. This continued for about two minutes or so. Next, nothing. Next, click and rumble (starter engaged-once). Next, nothing. Next, spark.

Ok, this is where I stand, just a spark, spark, no click. It is my understanding that if I am not hearing a 'click' then the solenoid is not engaging the starter. Thus, this is probably a bad solenoid, not necessarily a bad starter. I plan on taking the solenoid out and cleaning, and trying again.

Also, should I rule out a bad alternator or coil at this point?

Any thoughts on my situation? Am I on the right 'track?' Thanks in advance on any advise!

Steve

Last edited by zeldalink; 05-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Tags
solenoid, starter