Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 69.180.113.40
Old 06-19-2005, 04:12 PM

oil leak into bilge

Hi,

I keep finding oil in my bilge water & was wondering if there are typically common locations where leaks occur where I should look first?
  #2   IP: 38.118.53.88
Old 06-20-2005, 06:31 AM

Jeff,

Most oil leaks occur along the carburetor side of the engine. Starting at the flywheel end of the engine and working rearward, leaks could be from the oil sending unit directly behind the flywheel housing (or from its connecting fittings), from under the valve cover, from between the block and fuel pump, or from around the oil pressure regulating valve.

If the leak seems to be from the rear of the engine, the rear seal around the output coupling could be leaking. However, almost all leaks from along the carburetor side of the engine usually run back along the upper ledge of the oil pan and end up dripping off the aft end of the engine. Therefore, to be certain that the rear oil seal is really leaking, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the rear end of the oil pan so that the oil can actually be seen to run down from the seal.

On the starter side of the engine, leaks are usually limited to the area of the water pump, with the shaft seal of the pump (the seal toward the engine) usually causing the leak.

If the leak is clearly coming from the front of the engine, it could be that the return holes in the flywheel housing below the air seal (or "slinger seal") around the front of the crankshaft are clogged. When these holes are clogged, oil being flung outward by the tapered collar around the front of the crankshaft cannot drain back into the crankcase, and it is leaking (instead) down behind the flywheel, along the front face of the flywheel housing, and out through a drain hole in the bottom of the same housing.

Best regards,

Don
  #3   IP: 64.229.181.130
Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Last year (my first with the A4) I was having the same problem, which in the end seemed to be caused by overfilling the crank case with oil, and only by a small amount over the "full" line on the dip stick. Make sure your oil level is correct.
Sincerely,
Michael