Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 64.219.133.131
Old 02-16-2005, 02:34 PM

Question fuel pump adjustment?

After pulling the engine, going through it and rebuilding the mechanical fuel pump, I now find my engine getting flooded quite a bit. I have only gotten it to start once in several times of trying. Unfortunately I shut it off to get the cooling water intake hose in a bucket to test it. After reading this list of questions and advice, I am beginning to think I have a dirty needle valve or main jet. It looked clean, but a speck of dirt can throw the wrench to it, huh? I was curious if there is any adjustment for the mechanical fuel pump. I have it assembled correctly (I am pretty sure) and it is giving me a good and steady amount of gas. But, after cranking the engine, I take the flame arrester off and see gas in the throat of the carbureator. I have also checked the "spark" and am getting a good, sharp spark on all cylinders.
So, am I right with the float/needle valve on the carb? Or is there an adjustment on the mech. fuel pump I am missing and forcing too much fuel into the carb? Thanks for your help and input in advance!!!!
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.121
Old 02-17-2005, 08:57 AM

Hello,

There is no adjustment on the fuel pump.

I would remove the main passage plug (ahead of the main jet) and drain all the fuel out of the carburetor. Then work the priming lever of the pump to flush a couple of pints of fuel through the system, or until the fuel is flowing perfectly clear.

If the float valve still doesn't close completely, you may have to remove it one more time and work the orifice of the brass plug with a blunt-ended 3/16" wooden dowel.

Best regards,

Don Moyer
  #3   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Afourian MVP

Lightbulb

This appears to be just the right place to promote the idea of a fuel return line kit for both mechanical and electric fuel pumps. The original motivation seems to be a desire to regulate fuel delivery and that is very commendable, but now we have in addition the desire to regulate pump temperature. Both mechanical and electrical have the reserve capacity to accomplish this. Another advantage would be the greatly increased filtering and separating functions of the Racors. The kit should include one of the small ball valves from the on line catalogue.

Last edited by hanleyclifford; 10-26-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling