X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anglosax
    • Oct 2006

Message for Skorleb -Starter not engaged

I see this previous thread is closed but I had a similar problem with starter pinion not engaging flywheel and the problem was the shaft sleeve that the pinion slides on was installed backwards so that the pinion could not travel out to engage fully - It eventually wore 3/16 off the pinion teeth and failed. The best part was that it had recently come from a starter refurb company for a major overhaul
    Hope this helps
    Its a boat... what can possibly go wrong.....?
  • anglosax
    • Oct 2006

Whoops

It seems I just put my fingers into gear before engaging my brain !!!!
    My problem was with the bendix gear helical sleeve that was installed backwards so that the pinion rolled out over the helical groove to engage the flywheel fully, but at that point was almost off the end of the helical sleeve and eventually chewed up the end of the helical sleeve causing the starter to engage the flywheel, spin its shaft, but not turn the pinion or flywheel.
    Sorry for the right answer to the wrong question!
    Its a boat... what can possibly go wrong.....?

Comment

• skhorleb
      • Sep 2006

Good to know

Anglosax,

I did not realize I had closed the thread. Reopened now.

I appreciate you contributing your experience. Sorry to hear about your similar woes. If I read it right, it sounds like your symptom included the starter gear moving too far over the flywheel...while my situation involved the gear not moving far enough. I will keep that in mind if I decide to refurbish my old starter for emergency use.

While we are talking about, I will comment that when I tore the starter apart the solenoid gasket was installed incorrectly. It was reversed. Rather than fixing it right, they had sealed the moisture gap between the solenoid's flange and the starter body with caulking. G-r-r-r.

But I got my new starter, installed it and the starter is fine now. I considered keeping the old starter and replace the worn starter gear if I can find a match. When I do that, I will check on the Bendix gear helical sleeve orientation. I am learning a lot, but no pro. 'Still at the stage where I have keep a very cautious eye on my naive efforts. Thank you!
      Steve Horlebein

Comment

• skhorleb
        • Sep 2006

Good to know

Anglosax,

I did not realize I had closed the thread. Reopened now.

I appreciate you contributing your experience. Sorry to hear about your similar woes. I will keep that in mind if I decide to refurbish my old starter for emergency use.

While we are talking about, I will comment that when I tore the starter apart the solenoid gasket was installed incorrectly. It was reversed. Rather than fixing it right, they had sealed the moisture gap between the solenoid's flange and the starter body with caulking. Seemed like sloppy wormnship to me. G-r-r-r.

But I got my new starter, installed it and the starter is fine now. I considered keeping the old starter and replace the worn starter gear if I can find a match. When I do that, I will check on the Bendix gear helical sleeve orientation. I am learning a lot, but no pro. 'Still at the stage where I have keep a cautious eye on every disassembly and rebuild effort. Thank you!
        Steve Horlebein

Comment

Working...
        X