Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 73.129.213.235
Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Update on refit of Pearson Triton

About a year ago, I sailed our Triton, Hannah Elizabeth, from Chester, MD, to Bivalve MD. All was made possible by the good weather and Captain's skills of Del Walter, owner of Walter's Boatworks in Tyaskin, Md. Since then much has been accomplished. A major victory was the successful recoring and finishing of a new ceiling in the main cabin. I did this from the inside and was able to get a solid three-layer glass/resin ceiling now ready for electrics ( four mini LEDs with a dimmer).
A4 performed admirably in the 80 nm trip; she was winterized and has been turned over once in a while. New gauges for temp, volts and oil pressure, and a tachometer are planned for the walls of the cockpit with duplicates on the control panel along with an 8 gang breaker, solar regulator.

Completed a top down recoring on the starboard deck with thickened epoxy and thin marine ply layers.

Swapped out the old winches for a pair of Barient 18 on the pedestals, which, along with the coamings, got 6 coats of varnish. I put a winch at the rear of the cabintop and have a mast base plate that will be installed when mast is raised.

Topside got two coats of two-part epoxy primer, followed by three coats of two part epoxy topside paint. First epoxy coat was rolled, all others were sprayed.

Bronze window frames were cleaned , buffed and polished. I shot them with spray lacquer, ( not happy with already peeling finish). New plexiglass windows were cut and bedded in butyl (Not done with that yet; I'm here typing because its raining at the yard. I sat and watched the windows leak after my first attempt at bedding them in butyl tape.) My wife and I mixed a very light greyish white topside paint and painted the deck, cabin top, cockpit and transom.

Rudder and rudder shaft were separated, original bronze
shaft replaced with a stainless one. some of the tightening nuts inside the rudder were missing, so straps were used to join rudder and shaft.

A new propeller, to replace the two-blade that had been attacked by galvanic corrosion, acquired from one of the fine members of this site, now rides on a reconditioned stainless shaft, with new hardware.

Fitted new stanchion lines, turnbuckles and pelican hooks, plan to re-purpose old for mid-level line on each side.

James
Attached Images

#2   IP: 71.179.226.138
Old 07-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Nice work!
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Baltimore, MD
  #3   IP: 107.77.97.16
Old 07-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

Keep on keep'n on.

I am about at the same stage. Last year my boat got; new rigging, chainplates, bulkhead, bottom paint.

Next year; plumbing, wiring panel, self-tailing winches(surplus), lifelines.

Not much this summer but the vee-berth cushions will be redone myself with some new material that is designed for car covers on the top and vynil-coated mesh on the underside.
I may bump this thread if I get to that soon and show off. You will not get photos if my sewing is rough though

solidarity,
Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
The Following User Says Thank You to lat 64 For This Useful Post:
Hymodyne (07-06-2017)
  #4   IP: 73.129.213.235
Old 07-06-2017, 05:09 PM

few more pics
Attached Images

#5   IP: 71.16.40.4
Old 07-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Afourian MVP

Wow...lots of work. Nice.

If you don't mind losing the bronze finish, I had great luck powdercoating my aluminum framed windows. It might modernize the boat a bit with the correct color/shade, but still keep it classy.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif