Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Polls

View Poll Results: So, during the hurricane do you....
Tie her up and hide indoors! 16 94.12%
Take her out and enjoy the ride! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

#1   IP: 70.177.229.241
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM

Poll for Irene....

Benny wants to take her out so she won't beat herself up on the dock. This obviously means riding out the storm on the boat, in the middle of the river. Now, having been here and lived through Isabel, I understand his concern, but I'm curious what you guys are doing.
Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/youthstrikesback
  #2   IP: 151.200.57.102
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Afourian MVP

Um...boats are replaceable..no matter how much heart & soul (& money) you put into them.

Mine's gonna be tied up at the dock.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #3   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

I have made my decision to bring Destiny to the Lagoon in Vineyard Haven to wait out the weather on anchor. Twenty years ago Edgartown Harbor was destroyed by 111 mph winds and a 5 foot surge. The scope is just too short in most mooring fields. This event will take place at new moon and near perigee and I expect a ten foot surge in Edgartown. The creeks such as the one Shawn is in should be safe from any wind factor but tidal surge could be significant. I saw the water marks on the buildings in Annapolis after Isabel. If you are going to stay on a dock it would be a good idea to put out the longest kedges possible and make sure your boat comes back down onto the same spot from whence she will rise. Edit: I cannot vote on this poll because there is nothing enjoyable about it. Three hurricanes, one on a dock, two on moorings and a tropical storm on the hook and my nerves are shot.

Last edited by hanleyclifford; 08-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.
  #4   IP: 38.102.16.189
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
MMI Webmaster

What Shawn says, +1.

Rode out the edges of one aboard many years ago.

Never again.

Bill
  #5   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile Good luck boys..and prepare as best you can.

I hear ya Hanley. Hurricanes are destructive and this one will be no different. If the right circumstances occur on landfall she might be more destructive, hitting shore at high tide will be disastrous.

You said things that makes allot of sense....

-scope on anchor and/or mooring lines
-kedges in the marinas.
-extra lines and chaffing gear on boat...includes mooring lines...2 to bow cleats then a couple of more back further on the boat so that if the bow's let go the back up lines hold. Good quality line and cloth chaffing gear works well because it will get wet in the storm and keep the heat / friction down on the lines.
-look around and help those that need it so that their boat doesn't become a battering ram.
-head sails, main sails off and stowed below.

This one is not forecast to be a direct hit on us and should be very weak when it makes it this far north. In our marina we have 8x8 posts that will float up from the pipes ... that said, those posts will hold for a while but if there's major wave and wind combination they'll snap like twigs.

I have the ability to pull my boat in less than an hour with my truck and trailer. When I know where it coming ashore, wind direction for my area etc, I will make that call. Last year I stayed in for Hurricane Earl because the winds were from the SE. NW is our vulnerable direction.

I sincerely wish everyone the best and wish I was around to help out the guys that will need it.

I think I clicked TAKE HER OUT AND ENJOY THE RIDE.....I meant take her out of the water.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 08-25-2011 at 07:48 AM.
  #6   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Afourian MVP

I am pretty lucky up here Hanley...my boat is the last sailboat in the creek. I have about 75 yards over to the other shore..

The owner of the house where I keep my boat did his hurricane prep yesterday by moving his 'extra' (he owns two) 35'-ish Sea Ray into the boathouse.

I just thought of another interesting statistic. There are ZERO diesel powered boats where my boat is. 6 boats, and they are ALL gas powered.

The property owner said the only issue he's ever had was a tornado that took the roof of the boathouse off and threw it in the middle of the creek, some years back.

I do expect the storm surge to cover the dock (spring tides cover the dock!), so I'll be heading down and doubling up on lines and tying them in different configurations so they don't all chafe at the same rate.

Here's a Google Earth pic (from 2007) of Old House Cove...I am pretty protected..That big boat is the Sea Ray now in the house..a small Mako is up next to the shore.

The big huge Poplar trees in my yard next to my house a couple miles inland are another matter. I am not too worried about the boat...
Attached Images

"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 08-25-2011 at 08:51 AM.
  #7   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Afourian MVP

Most guys ride out only one Hurricane.

The guys that rode out Hurricane Juan were wishing they didn't before the height of the storm. It was too late to get off and they put in a hellish night. One guy Arthur, had sailed a Cabot 39 around the world and he said he couldn't have done anything at the height of the storm if she let go. Too much wind and she would have been moving too fast. He said he'd never ride out another one on a mooring.

Good looking spot there Shawn.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #8   IP: 32.220.217.121
Old 01-01-2023, 08:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Take her out might be the best bet depending the time of season. How many weeks of sailing do you have left before you normally haul out?
Riding it out at a dock? Maybe, but look at the dock first. How high are the pilings? If you visit at high tide, note the pilings are head high, and expect 10' of surge, that dock may not be a good choice.
Riding it out in a mooring field is NOT a good choice. Your tackle might be up to the job, but what about the other guy. You get hit by another boat and all bets are off. I lost one boat (Gloria '85). Got hit by another boat, my mooring pennant failed at the eye splice, big 'V' in my stbd bow.
Options are:
1) Haul it out.
2) Dock it somewhere safe.
3) Anchor it somewhere safe. Anchors bow and stern. Don't tell anyone about your 'hole'. DO NOT stay aboard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
W2ET (01-02-2023)