X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsr
    • May 2009

Indigo electronic ignition

I installed an indigo electronic ignition last week and it went pretty well until I put the distributor cap on. I noticed the new cap was rotated 90 degrees and is now perpindicular to the engine cylinders where before it was paralle. The orientation also makes the cap very close if not touching the alternator belt. The alternator is an oversized 125A. I have checked the directions and do not see where I have gone wrong. I have not tried to fire it up because I would like to know if I did someting wrong. Any ideas?
  • Kurt
    • Jun 2007

I installed the electronic ignition from Moyer and all I can offer you is that I too had the distributor cap rubbing the alternator belt on my initial installation. You will likely need to do what I did - change the orientation of the cap. You can certainly disconnect the wires from the cap and move the cap around until you can see that it will not touch the alternator belt (and won't touch it when the distributor is rotated a few degrees in either direction as you will do when you time the engine). From there, you will want to make sure your timing is correct and that the rotor is pointing either away from the block (late model engine) or directly aft (early model engine) when set to TDC. Then, you will know how to orient the plug wires (#1 is where rotor points, then follow correct sequence clockwise from there - 2,4,3).

This process solved the problem you are describing for me anyway.
    Last edited by Kurt; 05-27-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• rsr
      • May 2009

indigo electronic ignition

Kurt, I took the distributor out on Saturday and was able to orientate it so the cap had clearance from the belt and the rotor was positioned away from the #4 cylinder. It started up better than it ever did. Thanks for your help and thanks to Moyer Marine and Indigo for the other parts and the manual. Engine runs real nice.

Comment

Working...
      X