Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Polls

View Poll Results: Have you ever been boarded and inspected by the Coast Guard?
Never. 40 64.52%
Yes, but it was more than five years ago. 9 14.52%
Yes, within the last five years. 4 6.45%
Yes, within the last year. 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

#26   IP: 70.209.203.165
Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 PM

Yes last spring. It was really no problem looked at my papers checked all the safety gear all ws fine One problem I have 2 expensive PFDs which I pulled out to show and was not CG approved it was from England so maybe that was why. Even the Coastie said it looked like a real good one. I also had abunch of regular CG approved vests.
It was the 1st time I have ever been boarded after sailing for almost 60 years..

I have had ICE and Border Patrol come along side and ask where I was coming from and going to and if I was the skipper and owner. ONe time it was in the boat basin inSan Diego bay on a Sunday afternoon. I thought that was a little strange. He asked me to pull over so they could board. I said I had no motor and was under sail Then said I they wanted to follow me to my slip a 1/2 mi away they could board. He no and have anice day and hope your engine works
  #27   IP: 70.199.158.79
Old 07-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Boarded the summer before last in the San Juans. It was amusing, there were two USCG newbies being trained on how to board and inspect boats. They had their manuals and clip boards and were taking this boarding very seriously and trying to be as precise as possible. My crew and I could barely contain our laughter when one of these newbies asked to see our "boiler room".

Overall it was a fine experience. Our only ding was we had some expired flares in addition to the current ones.
  #28   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 09-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Not the USCG and not a boarding but several years ago I was a guest on a powerboat at Catalina. We were anchored, a couple of the guys had fishing lines in the water (no licenses of course) and the boat owner had one of the engine starters in pieces on the aft deck. A State Fish and Game officer approached, asked what we were up to. We explained our starter problems but being safely anchored and a twin engine boat we were not in any immediate danger. By the way, you might want to check out that sailboat over there. He asked why, are they fishing? No, but the ladies don't seem to like wearing bikini tops.

And he was off in their direction like a shot.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Administrator (09-06-2017)
  #29   IP: 107.77.92.65
Old 10-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Not the USCG and not a boarding but several years ago I was a guest on a powerboat at Catalina. We were anchored, a couple of the guys had fishing lines in the water (no licenses of course) and the boat owner had one of the engine starters in pieces on the aft deck. A State Fish and Game officer approached, asked what we were up to. We explained our starter problems but being safely anchored and a twin engine boat we were not in any immediate danger. By the way, you might want to check out that sailboat over there. He asked why, are they fishing? No, but the ladies don't seem to like wearing bikini tops.

And he was off in their direction like a shot.
I keep telling my wire we need better binoculars on the boat. She asks "why ?"

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #30   IP: 67.237.110.178
Old 10-10-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat 64 View Post
I keep telling my wire we need better binoculars on the boat. She asks "why ?"
I occasionally sail past not one but two nude beaches. It is vitally important to never point the binoculars in that direction. "Are those albino sea lions on that rock over there?" "Noooo..."
The horror.

I thought I was going to get boarded a couple of weeks ago when I was paddling my SUP along the edge of the channel, but they just followed me for a while and then took off in another direction.
  #31   IP: 71.3.152.34
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
I occasionally sail past not one but two nude beaches. It is vitally important to never point the binoculars in that direction. "Are those albino sea lions on that rock over there?" "Noooo..."
The horror.

I thought I was going to get boarded a couple of weeks ago when I was paddling my SUP along the edge of the channel, but they just followed me for a while and then took off in another direction.
How many Coasties fit on a SUP?
  #32   IP: 71.178.91.212
Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post

So, a real world question...did you have a PFD with you? most of us on SUP's 'round here just wear them, but sometimes I am 'lazy' and strap it to the SUP if I am feeling skinny that day and it isn't windy and I am pretty confident I won't fall off.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #33   IP: 67.237.110.178
Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Yes, I had a PFD with the required "invasive species prevention permit" and a whistle clipped to it. Bungied down on the back. Yeah, I know, you're supposed to have that 22 lb buoyancy inflatable strapped around your waist for it to count. But OTOH, I had this other thingy with 900 lbs buoyancy tied to my ankle. But hey, if you actually slip out of the calm water into the breaking surf zone, no PFD is required at all. WT actual F.

Though boarding a surfboard might seem absurd... back when I worked at the Lazy H Ranch (where the plutonium comes from), I got stopped and searched twice riding my bicycle to work. The patrol had some quota to search "X" vehicles per day "at random." It was a lot less work to search a bicycle than an SUV.
  #34   IP: 174.204.8.52
Old 10-25-2017, 10:04 AM

We were boarded on the Chesapeake.
They were very nice well armed guys.
They only checked documents and safety gear.
We had our offshore life jackets in the back lazzeret , they asked " Is this the only life vests?" We answered with a no, we have orange ones too.
That's when we learned if you only have offshore gear it has to be worn at all times. I'm glad we had both I had no idea it was a violation.
All was good and off they went.

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"
Old 10-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Fstued
This message has been deleted by Fstued.