X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejay
    • Jul 2022

Air intake on Carb

I am new to the afourian community, and currently on the steep part of the learning curve regarding the care and feeding of my late model A4. I do have a question about the carburetor, which I have yet to find an answer on the forum. There is a tube emptying onto the top of what appears to be the flame arrestor of the carb, but I am ignorant of its function. The tube broke off recently so I really need to figure out its purpose, if anyone could enlighten me. Thanks!
    Last edited by ejay; 09-15-2022, 03:25 PM.
    EJ
    78 Catalina 30
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

That is the crankcase breather, known as the slash tube on this forum. It's Universal's attempt at capturing crankcase blowby. MMI has them in their online catalog:
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ejay
      • Jul 2022

Thanks for the info! I will place an order for a replacement today. Is that the air intake for the carburetor that the slash tube is emptying into?
      EJ
      78 Catalina 30

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ejay View Post
        ...Is that the air intake for the carburetor that the slash tube is emptying into?
        yes it is.
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

• Sam
          Afourian MVP
          • Apr 2010

Best investment you will ever make is a $50 A4 service manual from Moyer. Do it now and combine shipping.

Comment

Working...
          X