X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajgaines
    • Aug 2019

Anyone know this guy?

There is a guy that sells rebuilt A4s in Southern California near Escondido. He charges $3500. Does anyone know him or his reputation? I'm pretty sure his name is Ed..
    Attached Files
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Don't know him, never heard of him but if this is a private party I'd first inquire about diagnostic measurements (compression, cooling system pressure test, oil pressure @XRPM, etc.) and a running demonstration. If it is a business entity I'd expect the same plus a warranty.

He's representing this as a full rebuild so let him prove it and stand behind it before plopping down several thousand dollars in a form of payment that cannot be recovered if it goes sour.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

I wonder where he purchased the necessary parts...

Bill

Comment

• ajgaines
        • Aug 2019

I believe in an email thread with him he said from Moyer. Is there any actual badge to the name "master marine mechanic" or is that something anyone can call themselves?

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by ajgaines View Post
          Is there any actual badge to the name "master marine mechanic" or is that something anyone can call themselves?
          The tail end of your question is what seems to be the norm but a quick internet search turned this up:
          The American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) offers a variety of certification courses, many of which pertain directly to marine mechanics. For example, mechanics can become certified in marine corrosion, marine systems, diesel engine and support systems and/or gasoline engine and support systems. Certifications in refrigeration and air conditioning and electrical are also available. Each course includes 2-4 days of seminars followed by the certification exam. Marine mechanics can also earn manufacturer-specific certifications, such as the Certified Technician in Mercury Marine product lines available through Mercury University.
          In addition, there were a number of certificated programs offered by for-profit trade schools/colleges. Don't discount the collective knowledge base on this forum. No one member has all the answers but as a group the information available here, especially since it is specific to the Atomic 4, is some of the best you'll find anywhere.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I would ask for a warranty and a previous customer you could go talk to. Not saying the guy is not good, but we had a "rebuilder" around here decades ago that was really a "cleaner and painter"
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
            X