X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PT26
    • Mar 2012

Snooks

Yes you can dinghy into their dock, I told them what I was up to and the reply was... No worries, take care of what you need to do your dinghy is fine right where it is. Awesome people with a great attitude

So we will be leaving in the morning headed for Marathon.

( side note, I am the luckiest guy to have such a great wife. Always willing to jump right in the middle of it all to get it done, she's my BFF )
    Paul
    S/V PT26
    1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

1715 PT 26 entering Boot Key Harbor.

Comment

• PT26
        • Mar 2012

Boot Key Harbor

It was a nice day we had a good run from Key Largo to Boot Key.
        We did have to run the A4 this morning but that was ok with me after all we went through the last couple days. The A4 ran like a dream... Sweeeet
        We ran along on the inside using the protection of the land because it was to get real windy and it did. We hit Steamboat Channel perfect at high tide, super shallow no passage possible for us at low tide. We were able to sail for a good portion of the day.
        The Captain said we are going to hang out here for a little while and do some short trips and the come back to the mooring here.
        A mooring is 225 a month includes dinghy dock, showers and pump out when you need it so its a good home base to be on for the area.
        Paul
        S/V PT26
        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• PT26
          • Mar 2012

Leaving boot key harbor

We left Boot Key Harbor yesterday and anchored around the corner in the Fanny Key islands. Our stay was awesome, we even hopped the bus and checked out the sailboat races a few days ago.

We're heading back to the mainland, Everglades City FL being our first stop.
          --Trina
          Paul
          S/V PT26
          1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Sounds allot better than most of us further north....-20 C Here this morning...thats about 4 F.....wish I was sailing the coast of Fl today.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

PT. If you get a chance stop at City Seafood just before the low bridge. Richard, IIRC, owned the place when I was there 5+- years ago. Very helpful, lent me his golf cart to haul gas, offered for me to tie up on the dock for free and a great shrimp sub. I tied up to the nice/new docks at the abandoned resort for the first night. Then anchored up in the north end of the loop past the Rod and Gun Club. No telling what the rules are now. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Anybody got a read on PT26 loc stat? My last is about 15 nm NNW of Boot Key.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

PT26 halted near Russell Bay off channel into Everglades City.

Comment

• PT26
                    • Mar 2012

Long run

It was a long run from the Keys to Everglades City!
                    The currents and wind shifts off the tip of Florida are really something.
                    This area has a bazillion crab and lobster pots, made us a little nervous knowing we would be traveling at night. We did ok hit one with the dinghy, skimmed one with the boat I guess I would rather be lucky than good at this point!
                    Once in the lee of the west coast we had a nice wind that moved us along.
                    It did get late and we sailed for hours in the dark.
                    Upon arriving Trins said I should slow down and back it off we were coming in at six knots in the dark... I backed off but the current ran so strong it didn't help much. So with what we learned while cruising and using the charts as a "guide"
                    We charged up the river and found our spot, a little spooky and fun all at the same time.
                    Resting up today anchored up near Jenkins Key, Everglades city Fl. Then off to Marco Island to check it out... Kinda cold 80 degrees today lol time for a cool one.
                    Paul
                    S/V PT26
                    1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

Well done! Enjoy your stay there.
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                      The optimist expects it to change.
                      The realist adjusts the sails.
                      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• PT26
                        • Mar 2012

A few Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	sombrero beach tugboat boot key.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	193949
                        An ideal motorboat for an A4? This one we saw at Sombrero Beach.

Name:	paul and trina sombrero beach.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	193950
                        Paul and Trina at Sombrero Beach, Florida Keys

Name:	paul disorganized.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	193951
                        Paul looking for something... making a total mess.

Name:	sunset moorings boot key harbor.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	193952
                        Mooring Field at sunset in Boot Key Harbor

Name:	night sailing.jpg
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	193953
                        Last night, sailing under the moon to Everglades City, FL

Have a great Evening Everyone!
                        --Trina
                        Paul
                        S/V PT26
                        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Hi Paul and Trina, Thanks for those pictures. You guys must be having a great time. Running at night thru crab traps can be a little nerve racking. Is there any way to make that run in daylight? Hanley

Comment

• PT26
                            • Mar 2012

The run from Boot Key to Everglades City

Hi Hanley,

No the run is 83 .5 miles from where we were to the entrance.
                            Then you go up river at least 2 miles to find shallow and protected water.
                            Now if you have a fast boat maybe... But there is no escape, the traps make the Chesapeake Bay look like no ones there! With a fast boat you would still be dodging traps all day, some spots were almost impassable
                            We tried going out farther and it seemed to get worse, inside or outside there was no difference.
                            If one was ever a drift here they would not go hungry for sure!
                            All the best
                            Paul
                            S/V PT26
                            1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Marian Claire
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2007

The only way I have found to avoid the traps is to get in close and be within the Park boundaries. The park waters are closed to the commercial boats. WARNING: This can put you into some shallow water. You can cross Florida Bay from up near Islamorada and head for Cape Sable then stay close in as you go north. This info is based on my trips before 2010 so things may have changed.
                              Dan S/V Marian Claire
                              Last edited by Marian Claire; 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• PT26
                                • Mar 2012

Everglades.city to Marco Island

What a nice day, we left on an out going tide with wind in our favor.
                                We charted our course and had wind almost all day with only a few tacks To keep us on the rum line and then a broad reach the rest of the day just before arriving to Marxo Island. We lost wind and motored into the channel.
                                This place is a zoo to say the least, we hope they all have to work tomorrow!
                                We found fuel at a good price and a free pump out here at Marco River Marina.
                                Water was also free and trash too. They were cool enough to let me rinse off the salt on the boat, a good stop.
                                Anchoredge is just east of the marina in 12 feet a few boats not many
                                We leave at first light for Fort Myers FL.
                                Paul
                                S/V PT26
                                1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

Working...
                                X