X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan C
    • Nov 2007

Starting Problem

While trying to start the A4 in my Ericson 29 recently, the starter motor cranked the engine OK but it wouldn't fire. I pulled a plug to check that I had a spark, and (while it looked a bit weak) there was a spark.
    While I was switching the ignition on and off during the head scratching part of the process, I heard a "click" from either the coil or the solenoid and the engine fired up and ran fine.
    My problem is, I'm not sure which component did the clicking.
    I thought if the solenoid was the problem, then the engine wouldn't even crank over. I also thought the coil didn't have anything in it that would "click".
    The engine continues to start and run OK, but I would like to replace the component that is obviously questionable. Any suggestions as to where I should focus the troubleshooting process would be appreciated.
  • bayareadave
    • May 2006

I would not suspect the solenoid

The solenoid click is the actuating of the starter motor gear to engage the flywheel, so if your engine cranks I would not suspect the solenoid or starter. I think if your search the posts for "ignition" or "spark" or something like that you can find plenty of troubleshooting steps.
    Last edited by bayareadave; 11-23-2007, 02:50 PM.
    -Dave Whaley
    Pleasant Hill, CA

Comment

Working...
    X