Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Safety

#1   IP: 68.126.188.23
Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 PM

Be a seaman, not a headline.

I love my A4...but, my little ship is a sailboat. My A4 is to get in, and out of the marina. I Keep her ready for the worst storm ever...even in bays, and sounds. I never sail into anything I can't sail out of. Engines are great, but folks die because they fail. At sea I have to do everything myself. Spare parts for engine, and rig, are only a part of being ready for the worst.
  #2   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

As a confirmed coward I try to do everything possible to avoid the "worst", which is why I never venture very far offshore. Still, for some reason I seem to get tagged at least once on every trip. Losing (voluntarily by plan) the mizzen and going with the short rig on a deep full keel has helped to make Destiny "idiot proof". When I bought the boat the PO admonished me never to rely on an engine - it was poor seamanship. I'm still chewing on that one.
  #3   IP: 69.254.42.192
Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 AM

Here Here

As a former Emergency Manager I agree that you can never rely on one "system" at sea. You should always have redundancies aboard your vessel.

There is an old saying in risk management..."If it is predictable it is preventable".

Boating/sailing in general is a complex operation. There are many variables that need constant attention:

-weather conditions
-water hazards (waves/reefs/rocks/shallows)
-hull integrity
-propulsion systems
-fuel
-standing watch/es
-cooking systems
-propane/alcohol/CNG
-open flames
-general condition of equipment (anchors/rodes/sails/lines/rigging/dinghy/life saving equipment/lifelines/generators...just to name a few)

We had a senior couple evacuated off of their boat just off of Sanibel Island a few weeks ago due to carbon monoxide poisoning. We had a sailboat burn up at anchor the other night...the liveaboard sailor was rescued but he lost everything he owned due to another vessel that was anchored close to him catching fire and then slam into his boat. Due to high winds he was unable to fend off the burning boat and his caught on fire and burned to the waterline...

As much as I love my A4 I am constantly vigilant about having a gasoline system aboard. I try to sail as much as possible when underway but I rely on my motor to get me to my destinations when there are no winds...I will motorsail as well when there are light winds or if the winds are working against my course. As a weekend sailor I don't have the luxury of taking 2 days to make 15 nautical miles due to big winds on the nose. I also rely on my engine to move me out of the way of the summer thunderstorms that we see almost daily here in the summer.

Due to the high amount of engine maintenance I have performed over the years on my A4 (it was in sad shape when I bought the boat that resulted finally in a full rebuild early this year) I have learned to not trust my engine soley. While it does a great job overall I am never surprised when something occasionally goes haywire. BUT...you need to have your anchor at the ready ANYTIME you are entering a harbor or marina. Try to rig a permanent stern anchor as well. You should be constantly planning evasive actions that you can take should your engine act up in close quarters (or those pesky puffs on the beam in close quarters!).

To wrap up...Murphy's Law is alive and well. We all have a lot of fun on our boats but lack of vigilence and and maintenance will certainly increase Murphy's odds.

Fair winds to you all and Merry Christmas from SW Florida!

Mike
S/V Plan Sea

Last edited by mike7a10; 12-24-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Hit send button by accident
  #4   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 12-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

Mike - I especially like that part about having an anchor ready to deploy. In the case of running the ICW, "ready" means practically instantaneous. When approaching a bridge on a fair tide I always run forward and loosen the anchor and set it on it's roller and pull chain onto the deck. The consequences of engine failure in such a circumstance is my worst nightmare. It is also important to stand well clear of the bridge until it is open since deploying an anchor too close to a bridge could result in an unpleasant "snag"!
  #5   IP: 24.136.77.31
Old 12-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Thumbs up Anchor ready

I'll add my $.02 here on this one. My practice is to be aware of what might happen weather wise and to be ready for the worse case as far as the wind goes. I seldom have to tuck in a reef as I usually have the reef in if there is a chance I will need it, I am better known for shaking out the reef because I didn't need it and that is much easier to accomplish.
Out here on the west coast there aren't the bridges, estuaries, and channels that are on the east coast. I have a mooring at my primary destination and the privilage of being able to trade. I have good ground tackle and at the bow the rhode and chain are at the ready however the anchors are stored below in an easily accessable spot low in the boat. However I do keep my stern anchor ready all the time and I have needed it a few times over the years. Most of the time I single hand and the family arrives later with someone else. I like the stern anchor for emergincies because I can deploy it from where I operate the boat no back and forth to the bow. If I need to be anchored for a while I just walk the rhode to the bow when all is under control. This practice has worked well for me and it does save time when you don't have much of it.

Dave Neptune
  #6   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile Pin your Lazerettes closed.

Today I was sailing in 25 gusting to 35. Thunderstorms rolled in and I saw rain coming at me 1/4 mile. As the rain hit my face it was so hard and painful that I thought it was hail...had to look twice to ensure it wasn't.

At this point I let go the main and pinched the boat onto the wind...the wind on the water couldn't be seen at this point for the rain... and I waited...and waited...and SLAM. Down hard and fast to the port side (was sailing on stb tack anyway with the prt side low in the water)... the lazarette popped open and I was taking on water. Reached downward with my foot and closed it but residual water on that side (seat area) of the cockpit still drained in over the inside edges of that cover...wild or what!.

The squall passed and I continued on for another 5 or 10 minutes, then tacked across the now lowered wind (25 or so), and headed the boat for home. After setting the sails, put on the autopilot and figured I was due for a cigarette after that. As I came to the companionway door I could see all the gear that had fallen over, floating in water on the cabin sole....my deck shoes miraculously were floating like boats and dry!!. My sweater was soggy wet as were the little cushions that I had for pillows on each end of the settee, two lifejackets floating etc etc.

Both pumps were running and in no time all was cleared. I didn't think that much water came aboard in those few seconds...but its a big hatch. I wondered why the pumps had not cleared the water by now...but soon realized it was because it (water) settled at the aft part of the boat as she made her way into the wind. Once the boat was turned off the wind she dug her bow in as she sailed on... wind coming in over her prt quarter. Then the boat leveled ...the water moved forward and activated the pumps.

So, I sailed for another hour or so then went home. Currently my wet gear and cushions are in the washer downstairs here at home. I never thought of water incursion through a lazarette popping open in a slamdown. Keep it in the back of your mind. By the way...gusts over 50 kts reported in area where forecast was gust to 30. When my C&C 30 gets slammed on it's ass you know something is up for she's a very stiff boat. My wind meter showed 52 kts, but trust me, I wasn't looking at it at the time. Funny how I saw that coming and it looked so benign...an instinct told me to release the main sheet when I couldn't see the water anymore and stick her into it. If my rig had been loose I have no doubt it would have come down.

So, now I will come up with an easily removed clip to pin the latch securing the lazarette covers.

Max wind speed 52 kts
Max boat speed 9.0 kts. ( I saw that happen on the way in with the wind coming in over the quarter) She held an easy 8 all the way home...about a 1.5 kts above her hulls speed.

Good day...nothing broke Rig check in the morning...a must.

EDIT: June 30...rig all checked out and OK; a few grommets got pulled free and small tear in cockpit curtain.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 03-11-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Had a mistake on max boat
  #7   IP: 76.7.135.1
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Afourian MVP

Mo good to hear all is well. Coming from someone with your experience I know it is not exaggerated. Well done and good advice. Better believe I will be more diligent in my locker latching. I will look at the latches and think "Mo". Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #8   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Dan,

My "experience" on that senario is a first time one for me. I've never been slammed like that before...I don't know what to call it...it moved in fast yet once I recognized that "this is not good" and it seemed to take forever...then slam. There were two other boats about a mile away with people in the water...they were racing and safety zodiacs were on it rather quickly.

I have a video on you tube called sailing in 34 kts gusting to holy ^&*K. mmullaley channel ytube. It was done a while back. The exact time that video was taken two J24's got knocked down racing and one sank. They recovered the boat the next day...everyone was fine.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#9   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
What was the forecast Mo?
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #10   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Afourian MVP

Forecast below Neil...pretty much it but there were no T-storms in it. At first it was pretty much on the money and even had lulls but increasing puffiness as the periods of rain moved in. The one I got it with was a squall...nothing short of it. When it happened it came fast and may have increased in intensity right where I was...often happens to get gusts in that area but this one was ferocious.

Right now same forecast in effect and the wind is just howling past my back deck....had to be a gust to 50 or 60 just a few minutes ago. Luckily the wind direction is SW so our club is protected but we can be sure there are a few worried people parked on the shore looking out at their boats tonight in less protected areas.

Strong wind warning in effect.
Wind southwesterly 20 knots with gusts to 30 becoming southwest 15 to 20 near midnight with gusts to 25 in the Approaches.

Periods of rain with a risk of thunderstorms changing to a few showers or drizzle Sunday afternoon. Fog patches.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#11   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Were you sailing solo?

Warning - lecture coming
  #12   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Yes, solo, of course Neil.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#13   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Afourian MVP

Exclamation Fasten yer seat belt

Please accept this in the spirit it’s intended. Even though our contact is entirely electronic I think of you like a brother.

We go to sea for recreation which makes every excursion optional. A forecast of strong winds should at least give you pause. If the forecast has a history of underestimation as it appears it did this time that ratchets up the pause to another level.

If the decision is still to go out, at a minimum there should be a reef in the main before you leave the dock, maybe two. They're a lot easier to shake out than to tuck in. Sailing solo in those conditions you do not want to be scrambling around the deck tucking in a reef too late. You should be in a harness and tethered, no question. As we’ve discussed before, the stern swim ladder should have a release rigged. PFD is mandatory. Some kinda recreation, huh? Other boats in the area have crew in the water and you're out there solo? Good grief!

Remember the mantra from my dive instructor 33 years ago? A good diver knows when not to dive. My friend, my brutha, you had no business being out there.
  #14   IP: 99.233.122.71
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Afourian MVP

good on ya

Mo

Glad you safe. Didnt want to lose your A4 advice.

You are a Cpt Quint out there. 25 kt forecast didnt spook you. Jaws was out there to catch.

Stay safe
  #15   IP: 68.56.139.11
Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Mo, I would sail with you anytime. Our boats are made to take all sorts of weather. We need to get experience to be able to deal with rough conditions.

I am mostly a fair weather sailor, but wish I was more experienced with heavy weather. To me, a real sailor is one that goes sailing when he wants, not when the weather is good. Yes I know that sounds silly, but that is me...LOL

My hero, Hal Roth, sailed in all kinds of weather, and enjoyed it, because he was prepared.

Safety? Ever read a sailing magazine? They want to sell us all sorts of stuff. I am sure everyone knows. We make our own decision about what we think is safe.

I agree with the OP. The problem is that reality gets in the way. We sail for fun. The kind of fun that we can have on the weekends and holidays. We cant become that blue water, offshore sailor of legend.

I try to make myself and my boat as ready for all conditions that I can. It will take me a lifetime to succeed.
  #16   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Please accept this in the spirit it’s intended. Even though our contact is entirely electronic I think of you like a brother.

We go to sea for recreation which makes every excursion optional. A forecast of strong winds should at least give you pause. If the forecast has a history of underestimation as it appears it did this time that ratchets up the pause to another level.

If the decision is still to go out, at a minimum there should be a reef in the main before you leave the dock, maybe two. They're a lot easier to shake out than to tuck in. Sailing solo in those conditions you do not want to be scrambling around the deck tucking in a reef too late. You should be in a harness and tethered, no question. As we’ve discussed before, the stern swim ladder should have a release rigged. PFD is mandatory. Some kinda recreation, huh? Other boats in the area have crew in the water and you're out there solo? Good grief!

Remember the mantra from my dive instructor 32 years ago? A good diver knows when not to dive. My friend, my brutha, you had no business being out there.
Point Taken Neil...no worries. It was me and another boat (STV Tuna) going around the islands. The rest of the sail was pretty good actually I'll sail in 20 to 25 any time. Genarally we can get it with the threat of rain, squalls and T-storms.

When I got back in the guys that go South to the Carribean say it happens frequently down there....sailing in a nice breeze then it turns wild for a bit...then it passes.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#17   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by romantic comedy View Post
Mo, I would sail with you anytime. Our boats are made to take all sorts of weather. We need to get experience to be able to deal with rough conditions.

I am mostly a fair weather sailor, but wish I was more experienced with heavy weather. To me, a real sailor is one that goes sailing when he wants, not when the weather is good. Yes I know that sounds silly, but that is me...LOL

My hero, Hal Roth, sailed in all kinds of weather, and enjoyed it, because he was prepared.

Safety? Ever read a sailing magazine? They want to sell us all sorts of stuff. I am sure everyone knows. We make our own decision about what we think is safe.

I agree with the OP. The problem is that reality gets in the way. We sail for fun. The kind of fun that we can have on the weekends and holidays. We cant become that blue water, offshore sailor of legend.

I try to make myself and my boat as ready for all conditions that I can. It will take me a lifetime to succeed.
True as well, I don't mind 20 to 25 kts...over that it becomes too much work ... literally. But if you don't sail in it you won't be comfortable in it. Now if I ever get caught in something like that again I'll know it better...for sure.

Trying to think what I'd do different from yesterday besides making sure those lazarettes hatches stay closed. Being alone I don't think I could furl the jib that fast. From the time I saw the heavy rain(it had been raining all day),and realized it for what it was, was about 1 minute...But already alone on a moving boat at 6-7 kts close hauled in 20-25 kts. So my control is crack the main (it did have 1st reef Neil) and or jib...I thought about cracking the jib but turned onto the wind with it instead...the boat got knocked down but came right back up and sailed on.

This whole thing happened and was over within a short period. I continued to sail for a couple of hours after that....left the dock @1150 and returned @ 1630 hrs. The knock down occurred around 1500h or so...it's not like it was blowing like that all day.

RC ... I agree that we need some exposure to weather but make sure the boat is ready for it (like the lazarettes can't pop open in a knockdown and get your stuff wet). Learn how to handle the boat and know what it will do for you...and learn it's flaws. But it is a gradual experience builder...I edged my way up to sailing in the weather I'll go out in and me and the boat did it together...boat told me yesterday "don't be too cocky" ... and it was indeed above my comfort zone. Can't say I got scared but there was definately that moment of ***!

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 06-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
  #18   IP: 24.177.211.5
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Tough act to follow , but I will add this:

Some years back I was entering our harbor gap when under power when the engine stopped abruptly. My main was covered and my anchor gear was in a locker. I was about 2 minutes from laying up against a rocky breakwater in 2 ft chop. Opening the locker and seeing my ground tackle "integrated" with a bunch of other gear , I opted for the mainsail. I tore into the mainsail cover and managed to get a sack of s**t main up which enabled to reach away from the rocks with about 2-3 beam widths to spare. I still remember how much my heart was racing.

That experience stuck with me. For years I have had a hook at the ready , albeit in a rather half-ass hanging-on-the-bow pulpit fashion. Just before launch this year I installed a permanent ss bow roller. Now I feel better.

Maybe instead of throwing out the pulpit hangers , I should use them in developing an emergency stern hook...

CK
  #19   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Afourian MVP

I didn't mean to suggest 20-25 knot winds were excessive (it blows like that every afternoon inside Los Angeles outer harbor, it's our normal) but gusts forecast to 30 knots that are actually over 50 knots are another matter entirely.

Another question that arises is can you trust the forecast in your area? Our marine forecast locally is usually pretty accurate.
  #20   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Exclamation Singlehanding

I, too do a lot of singlehanding and fully understand the possibilities. I have stayed home many times when I saw 25 in the forecast just because of comfort and I can always go next weekend. I have had times when I needed to be somewhere and made the CHOICE to go. I have left the LA Harbor more than once singlehanded with over 30 and have even done so far more than once with the square flags flying. I can't say these were good decisions but I made them and delt with them as necessary aboard. Being ready when you have time to consider the weather is easy compared to being out and getting caught. However either way you must perform so the boat will. Far more sailors leave there boats only to hear of them washing onshore somewhere months later. The boats are usually far tougher than a lot of sailors.

Note I spent many times going out on the water because it was gonna blow with a few sailing buddies just to gain experience in rough conditions.

I live by this "reef early and shake out late".

Dave Neptune
  #21   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker View Post
Tough act to follow , but I will add this:

Some years back I was entering our harbor gap when under power when the engine stopped abruptly. My main was covered and my anchor gear was in a locker. I was about 2 minutes from laying up against a rocky breakwater in 2 ft chop. Opening the locker and seeing my ground tackle "integrated" with a bunch of other gear , I opted for the mainsail. I tore into the mainsail cover and managed to get a sack of s**t main up which enabled to reach away from the rocks with about 2-3 beam widths to spare. I still remember how much my heart was racing.

That experience stuck with me. For years I have had a hook at the ready , albeit in a rather half-ass hanging-on-the-bow pulpit fashion. Just before launch this year I installed a permanent ss bow roller. Now I feel better.

Maybe instead of throwing out the pulpit hangers , I should use them in developing an emergency stern hook...

CK
I'd be in the same situation as you. Both my Bruce anchors are in the Prt Lazarette and I have to pull out a couple of fenders then remove the lashing on one of them, carrry to bow, shackle to rode...then deploy. It take forethought and preparation. I don't like the pulpit set up having one deploy off my 24 over 10 yrs ago.

I have an 18 inch extension roller / Bruce stowage / with A-kite pulley mount / bow sprit planned...all custom work but have to finish the design. The plan is to have it bolt on my toe rail about two feet back from the bow and extend out forward. Another 3 inch design plate will run bolted to the upper bow topside just below the toerail as well...they will run parallel. Every thing stainless, even the roller with a houser type fitting for the anchor rode to run through. My friend is a machinist and can make it at their shop....he's just waiting for me to get my head around what I want.

But getting back to your episode when the engine went out. Decisions are decisions and you made one that saved the boat and yourself...so it deserves a beer.

By the way, I took down the main underway as I approached the club yesterday...still blowing over 20 and it laid down real nice, wrapped it with sail ties, continued on auto on the jib toward the club, fired up the engine, furled the jib and laid the boat perfect in her dock...wind in my favor (perfect)...then went for a beer. It is nice when you go for the engine and it works.

Just a side note: Last Monday I did about a 50 miles sail on a Pearson 323 to bring her home after the owner had trouble last weekend. Nice boat but not an easy to sail boat...I don't have to leave my position behind the helm to work the main, or jib sheets. Can you imagine being on something (solo) and can't access control in a hurry. THAT is a stay on the dock situation.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 06-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.
  #22   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 06-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I didn't mean to suggest 20-25 knot winds were excessive (it blows like that every afternoon inside Los Angeles outer harbor, it's our normal) but gusts forecast to 30 knots that are actually over 50 knots are another matter entirely.

Another question that arises is can you trust the forecast in your area? Our marine forecast locally is usually pretty accurate.
Ours is usually pretty close and that's why I didn't mind going out. I noticed the warmth hitting my face as this occurred as well. Wind was coming SW...what hit me was sort of like a shear or squall. That particular area is off a hook point of land about 6 miles long...will attach a google pic.

STV TUNA (Navy Sail trainer ... with a crew of 8) They saw me disappear in rain and when I reappeared didn't realize anything outlandish happened. I spoke with Henry over a beer yesterday evening. Henry was skippering Tuna and told one of the guys to "watch Mo" as the **** bared down on me.....300 feet away didn't get it near as bad. Henry is an ex-fighter pilot and Air Canada pilot ..and he knows weather. He felt some of these extremely warm gusts as well...actually we were experiencing them all afternoon and that one that knocked me down was just more intense.

The red line is the wind direction, at the end of of the line near the island is where I got hit. I noticed that is was going to gust up and saw the sheet of rain as it came past the point (the line passes close to the land there...distance about 1/4 mile or so. I was outbound...directly off to my right, near land was STV Tuna. In a short period of time, maybe 30 seconds or so, it became very clear that this little puff wasn't a little puff. In retrospect I remember rain pelting me hard in the face, feeling warm air (much warmer than the ambient temp), lost sight of the water due to the downpour, and an almost calm seemed to occur. I knew something was up and cracked the main and pinched up onto the wind...it happened that fast. Wind might have lasted 30 seconds to a minute at the most and it was over, boat was back up and sailing...
Attached Images

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 06-30-2013 at 03:43 PM.
  #23   IP: 76.7.135.1
Old 06-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Afourian MVP

"Another question that arises is can you trust the forecast in your area?"
Seems like they, NOAA, are more correct at low wind speeds < 15. When the forecast is 15 to 25 who knows. The problem in my area is that it can go from a nice sail to very messy with just 5 or 10 extra MPH. The wind can be dealt with by reefing but there is nothing to be done about the steep short period seas. Add to that that the MC has hank on head sails. So I, when single-handed, have to make the sail chose before I leave the dock. On that note I always have a sail ready to raise and an anchor ready to drop before I leave the slip. Edit: I have also rigged the MC so that I can raise and lower the head sail and main from the cockpit. Never unhooking from my tether.
"Passage weather" does a good job IMO.
Do not know if it was just a fluke or not but the local forecast in the Abacos was off almost everyday I was there. Not talking about 5 mph off. Try 15 mph and 180 degrees. Listening to other cruisers proved to be the best source.
Dan S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by Marian Claire; 06-30-2013 at 10:45 AM.
  #24   IP: 68.56.139.11
Old 06-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Afourian MVP

I think that the forecasts are amazing, and accurate. They can tell us the winds and temp many days out.

There are local seasonal variations that cant be forecast accurately. I am talking about the summer squalls. If you know anything about the area, then you know the usual weather.

for instance, on the Chesapeake, there are summer squalls. It is very local. You need to know that a suall can happen, and be prepared. These are easily seen coming, so they are easy to deal with.

Here in SW Florida, we have summer weather. We know that there will be clouds, and the possibility of a T storm everyday. In the summer, sailing kinda sucks here. They can predict the fronts and storms very accurately.

In the winter (sailing season) I find the report to be very accurate. I really could not ask for better.

Once, when I sailed to Key West. That is a trip that takes me 80 miles out in the Gulf. The trip south was calm and as predicted. I listened to the forecast while I was there, watching about the trip North, to go home. They predicted some heavy weather coming in two days. I headed out at day break, for the 130 mile trip. When I got back to my safe harbor, and got anchored, the wind spun and came at 25 knots, like it was on a switch. That forecast was perfect!!! The temp dropped 25 degrees in 2 hours. I know I took a chance on that one. If that weather came early, I am sure I would have had to turn around and run back to Key West, to avoid beating for over 100 miles into huge seas.

They even have great graphics on the weather channel too. Can I mention the eye candy, that you dont get on the VHS.
  #25   IP: 67.235.27.130
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Afourian MVP

Mo-
I'm mostly a solo sailor too...

In the summer months where I sail, I've learned to keep a wary eye out for similar "sneaky" winds.
The summer thunderstorms that build in the desert around here can easily push a wind front with gusts in the 50's and even 60's sometimes.
The advantage here is that you can "see" the wind coming much farther out.
Typically, the first thing to spot is the building thunderclouds.
Once I see that, depending how far out I am, that's when I make a decision to either head in or start prepping for the inevitable squall.

I'm also always watching in every direction for the telling dust clouds that warn of something strong coming.

Before I learned to spot these tell tails, I got knocked down a few times. Even ripped an old sail.
Let me tell you... THAT gets your attention!
I now can give myself a good 4-5 minutes to get prep'd for a coming blow.
My headsail isn't a roller, but I have it rigged to get it down and lashed quickly when I need to.
It still gets the blood pumping when I see that dark boiling water coming my way like a freight train.

It's during those times when I have to ride one out, that I really depend on my little A4 to make the difference.
Riding out a blow here with just sails can be very challenging because I'm surrounded by land.
Granted, it's usually miles away, but running along at 6-8 knots those miles disappear quickly and pretty soon you're looking at coming about.

As Neil advises, checking the forecast can sometimes keep me in the slip to do a chore or project.
But our weather forecasts in the summer are almost always the same, so if I wanna go out I have to always keep a wary watch.
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30