• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ball Racing
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2011

12.5 mph

Well I finally got my A4 running, and well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    It's not in a sail boat, but my 19ft. Chesapeake Bay style Deadrise Skiff I built. I am trying to keep it old school from around here back in the commercial haydays from way back.
    I have a 12x8 prop that is holding the engine back to 2,200 rpms at full throttle, ( it reaching this at half throttle, just won't turn more rpms when you shove it down)
    I need to work with some props..
    It went 12.5 mph the other day, and that IS putting it up on plane, but thats it...
    Anyway still working problems, and bugs out..
    Attached Files
    Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
    Daniel
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Daniel...that is truly fantastic!

We need to find you the correct prop!

I am not sure of any A4's doing 12.5 mph...all of our old girls are envious already!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• Mark S
      • Sep 2008

I wonder what RPM you'd get with an Indigo prop where you get 2200 RPM with a 12x8. I couldn't get more than 1500 RPM with our old 13x8 and I get 400 more with the Indigo. You must have some sweet lines on that skiff!

Mark

Comment

• Ball Racing
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2011

I need to look toward "performance" props now, and not towards the sailboat type that are for displacement type slippage.
        I have a OLD Aqua Master (federal?) 3 blade on there now.
        Daniel

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

First of all I'd like to say that is a magnificent little boat - reminds me of a work boat we had at Edgartown Marine. We had the A4 too but with 2:1 reduction. Actually, 2200 rpm for 12.5 mph is not too shabby. Your hull is not really a planing one and I don't think you will get much more with direct drive. Try a cupped 3 blader with maybe 1 more inch of pitch.

Comment

• TomG
            Afourian MVP Emeritus
            • Nov 2010

Daniel,

Great job! The A-4 looks magnificent in that gleaming white paint! You got anymore close-ups of the A-4?
            Tom
            "Patina"
            1977 Tartan 30
            Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

Wow! Outstanding!

Bill

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Props

Daniel, first you ned to decide what RPM's you want to run at. As you have a light boat that is capable of far more speed that our sailboats will ever achieve under power. Also I'd like to know what vacuum you are pulling at 2000 & 2200 RPM's. My first suggestion would be to reduce the diameter and that will give you a few more RPM's and reduce the drag on the prop for a bit more power to devote to thrust. I would love to see you be able to try the Indigo, with it's narrow blades (friction reduction) and 10" diameter (additional friction reduction) and it's 7 1/4" pitch it should give you I'm guessing about 5~600 RPM's maybe even more. The Indigo should be an excelent "performance" prop on such a lite boat. I have a direct drive with the Indigo and I'm pushing 35' at 15,500 pounds and can get 2400 RPM's. If you do the math you will find that 7" is more than enough pitch to achieve your boats speeds. Maybe someone on the site near you would let you try one. If not I would look for a 2 blade 10" X 5~6" pitch and have the prop pitched up which will increase "cup" and give you a narrower focus on the thrust. DO NOT pitch a prop back as on your speedy application the prop will have considerable washout, which is a waste of power on lite boats.

The big problem is finding a prop with LESS pitch, there just not out there in anything but a sailor style. I do believe your best bet is the Indigo. Why don't you call Tom at Indigo, he is most helpful.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ILikeRust
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

I love it!

I always have loved the lines of the traditional Chesapeake Bay deadrise workboat. And in fact, I came pretty close to buying one before I got my sailboat. And I still would love to have one. More recently, I have been pondering the possibility of doing pretty much what you already have done - building a scaled-down version (like maybe 22 feet), powered by an Atomic 4.

I would like a small cabin on mine, though, because I would use it more as a camp cruiser than as a fishing or work platform.

I also like that you've really kept it quite traditional, with the simple wooden lever for steering. I see the gear shifter - where's the throttle?

I'd love to see more pics of the boat under construction. Have you posted anything about it over at the Wooden Boat Forum? I know the folks over there would absolutely love to see it.

That is just so damn cool.
                  - Bill T.
                  - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

By the way, the ol' A4 looks fantastic in that white paint. And we sailboaters are highly envious of your complete and total engine access.
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Comment

• Ball Racing
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jul 2011

Here are a few pics.
                      I took a pic of every single stage, but I would overwelm the server if I put them all here
                      Attached Files
                      Daniel

Comment

• Ball Racing
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jul 2011

more......
                        Attached Files
                        Daniel

Comment

• ILikeRust
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

Do you have a Photobucket or Flickr account? Put them all there and post a link!

And I'm serious - you really should post your pics and story over at the Wooden Boat forum.

That is truly sweet.

Did you use traditional caulking methods between the bottom cross-planking and sides?

Have you built one of those before? Did you follow a plan? Just wondering how you knew the methods.

That is one fine-looking vessel. And I love the fact that you dropped an Atomic 4 in there.
                          - Bill T.
                          - Richmond, VA

Comment

• ILikeRust
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2010

Remind me again where you're located?
                            - Bill T.
                            - Richmond, VA

Comment

• Ball Racing
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jul 2011

I am in Mathews 10 minutes or so away from Queens Creek Marina
                              No, I don't have a photo bucket account.
                              I built a 18 ft. flat bottom a year before this one.
                              But these were my first.
                              I have built several models since I was a child, of the 40ft workboats.
                              Some were Radio controlled.
                              My extended family(great grandfathers, uncles) have built boats and worked on the water for a long while.
                              I had no plans, just "rack of eye" as they call it around here.
                              I wanted the "big" boat look scaled down.
                              I would too, love to have a 40 footer, those ones you see at deltaville boat yard on the far end in the gravel parking lot (not the enclosed area when you first drive up), are eye candy to me out the water.
                              Many different builders, and lines, but they are all classics, and I pick the lines that look the best in "My" mind and build-dream accordingly.
                              The history of the building and use of these crafts are dying so fast.
                              it was awhole lifestyle, and local economy, and it's sad to see it fade away.
                              The fact that they were 'working class" boats and people kinda gave them a bad name in some places.
                              But if you look at lines, and proportions, and the fact that the early ones were mostly hand tool built, local saw mills, small budgets,
                              it makes you appreciate the art of what they did.
                              If you like seeing deadrises pictures go to deadrise4sale.com and go to the photo gallery.
                              Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X