• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

Maximum heel?

I've searched for an answer to this question but haven't found one: does anybody know the recommended maximum heel angle while the A4 is running? As long as oil pressure stays within normal range am I OK? I ask because I frequently have to recharge batteries on long distance races by running the engine while still sailing.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Mark, I don't really know. However I was out in 45kts plus and approaching my cove, it was about two miles out and I started the beastie with a double reef in the main. I was really sloshing from the back waves coming off the island and 8-10 footers on top of a swell. I have a 35 foot boat and the prop is at the base of the keel and it came out of the water a few times and I did not see a drop in oil pressure. However on a couple of big nasty "rolls" and I'm guessing they were at or just over 45 degrees while sloshing mind you and I did see the oil pressure dip a few times, so I did back off on the throttle a bit.
    I have motor sailed to charge at 20 degrees with no problems at all. My engine sits way tilted aft and I run my oil at +1qt on the dip stick.

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Dave, what do you mean +1 on the dip stick?

Mine only has a full mark.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

There are some people that keep the oil level about 1/4 inch above the full mark on the dip stick. The angle the engine sits in the boat is the driving factor for this little adjustment and it just insures there's enough oil toward the center of the pan when the engine is running and actually pumping oil up into the engine. The same train of thought is used for engines that run and are heeled with the boats sails up...one needs to be sure there is oil at the level of the pump so that the pump always has access to oil.

As an example: there were hundreds of reports of Volvo engines failing, actually burning up their bearing, while sailing. If memory serves me, they would motor sail on a stb tack (I can't remember which tack...one could maintain oil pressure and the other the pump would be starved at times and not access oil to pump to the engine) the oil would intermittently fall away from the oil pump pickup ...many engines lost this way. Although it may not have happened all at once there was no longevity owning a Volvo sailboat engine and overhauls and costs of owning one were just outrageous. Not uncommon for main bearings and connecting rod bearing gone, rings worn out at 2500 hrs or so due to running with less than optimal oil pressure.

There were lots of things on the internet about this about 10 years ago but haven't been able to find any on this morning's search.

PS: I know a guy that's a marine engineer...he loves his volvo engines...but he's rebuilt 3 of them as well and has one right now in his garage. I just don't get it sometimes. We see allot here re: the atomic 4 and problems. I have to say that an atomic 4 that is "just half decently" maintained, check oil, ensure it cool, winterize....there are so many of our A4's out there that we never hear of...just chugging along because their owners have a good grip on what's required to keep them dependable.

Attached is a short clip: My engine is not running in the clip but more oil in base pan on a day like that would be prudent at the very least. BTW I have 10500 logged solo nautical miles on Odyssey as of last week. Had 12,000 nautical miles logged on my previous boat. Don't sail in those conditions much anymore but there was a time when I lived for it. When I left the military I was one of these guys that went from go, go, go through sh!t storms to sitting back in civilization going through the motions. Sailing kept me sane and it was the only place I could feel like taking on the fury and had control of something...I'm not advocating people go do this stuff, but for some it's better than the alternative. Sailing on a calm day doesn't always get it done...BUT, I feel the need less and less all the time. Vets will understand that statement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjEU07_0ZVw
        Last edited by Mo; 08-31-2015, 08:03 AM.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Marian Claire
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2007

My early, 1965, model A-4 has a dip stick marked like this.
          -
          -
          -
          I keep the level on the 2/3 line as per instructions from the PO. Somewhere I have paper work that shows where to maintain the oil level based on the angle used when installing the A-4.

Dan S/V Marian Claire

Edit: Found this on another thread. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moyer-Marine...662582979?hash Go to the third pic and zoom in and you can read the info I mentioned above.
          Last edited by Marian Claire; 09-05-2015, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

To answer Marks question...and I have C&C 30 as well. I used to keep it 1/4 inch above the full line...mine just has a full mark line and add mark line. Keep in mind that this is when I'd go out and play in moderate to heavy weather and the boat action fairly violent at times. I didn't have any issue with oil coming out the rear main seal as well.
            Last edited by Mo; 09-02-2015, 09:10 AM.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Mike, I know the question concerns oil level but have you considered the tank's ability to vent under extreme heel when the tank is near full? Both tacks? Is the waterlift at or near the boat's centerline?
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Romantic, I run at about 1 qt to the plus. My engine tips back at about 12~15 degrees. This way my spark plug holes are only rusty on the aft side~HA HA HA.
                I have not encountered any problems and have run that way since I bought her in 1983.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• msmith10
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2006

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll just keep the oil level a little higher under those circumstances. I limit running the engine to times when there was less than 20 degrees of heel, and I never saw a drop in oil pressure.
                  I never thought about the gas tank vent, but I guess if the vent was blocked the engine would stall out after enough negative pressure built up. No damage and a few seconds of levelling out would fix the problem. Spider nests in the vent line were a frequent problem until I glued a little piece of screen over the vent.
                  Mark Smith
                  1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                  X