Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 65.184.51.169
Old 09-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

starter/solenoid/starter switch issues

So, my 1975 A-4 on our Pearson P30 has been rough to start as of late. It commonly takes 5-6 times turning her over until she starts up. In between each push on the starter button, occasionally all I hear is a "click" and no turning over. When I wait a few seconds and try it again, it usually turns over again and I keep the starter button held down for a few seconds (well, sometimes up to 10 seconds) while hoping the engine will start. I assume the "click" sound is the solenoid engaging into the starter motor unsuccessfully? But, like I said, it often "fixes" its self. Not so much any more. Today, after only getting the "click" after a few tries, I now get nothing- not a sound. Seems like maybe a fried starter switch? Any suggestions?

On top of that, I have another basic question- before I can push on the starter button, I have to turn my ignition key on. So, does THAT engage the solenoid? I'm obviously a lost soul, but trying to diagnose and repair this myself. I like wind power better!!!
  #2   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 09-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Last question first, it's likely the starter button gets its power through the ignition switch. Turning off the key disconnects everything.

There are several possibilities for the difficult starting issues. The click you're hearing is the solenoid activating. When it clicks and nothing else there's either no battery power to the big post or the solenoid's internal contact surface is sintered resulting in high resistance and no current flow. Check your battery cable connections for the no power possibility. Test from the solenoid output post to ground for 12V when a helper is pushing the starter button (solenoid click) to determine if it's a solenoid problem. And as you said, it could be the starter itself. If you test good power at the starter and it's not turning, that's a pretty strong implication.

No click at all could be ignition switch, starter button, battery connections and solenoid - or any of the related connections. Do the gauges come to life with the key on? If so, it's probably not the ignition switch. You'll have to trace the 12V through the system to see where it stops.

If the starter is cranking and it's hard to start, that's another problem altogether. It's often found around here that the choke isn't closing fully, worth a hard look. Might be the cable clamp, sheath or core, has slipped.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the caution about prolonged cranking with the raw water thru-hull open. 'Nuf said.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 09-25-2010 at 07:19 PM.
  #3   IP: 193.253.220.149
Old 09-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Afourian MVP

intermittent starting / solenoid problem

Beyond Neil's excellent advice, this thread has a long discussion and possible solutions that could help you. The problem of a "loud click" is addressed in particular.

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

#4   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Afourian MVP

Bfh

I have found that a good hard whack with a winch handle sometimes will get the solenoid to cooperate temporarily ....but Neil's suggestions might actually help fix the problem.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Tags
soleniod, starter, starter switch, won't start