Where do you guys have your engine instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Choice~~trust or worry?

Personally I trusted the A-4, my work and the modifications I made. The only gage of the 3 mounted that registered on my panel in the cockpit was the oil pressure and since it was electric I did not trust it. I later did a complete engine re-wire and still did not trust the lone operating cockpit gage. I mounted a manual oil pressure gage to the block and never really looked at it underway unless I heard something as it was on the engine itself as was the fuel pressure gage, a must. The other gages, ammeter, tach, vacuum gage, temp and volts were mounted in the nav station below. I ran like this for over 30 years and never had a problem as the A-4 properly maintained is very trustworthy indeed. I had no fuel gage and used a stick gage for that purpose.

I did do cold starts with the engine box open and used the permanently mounted start button on the engine. I even mounted the choke below at the nav station. This way I could see and monitor the systems when starting. Once I decided everything was OK and she idled without the choke I would close her up and be on my way, with no worries!!

I think that if your worried about everything you should get things upgraded until you trust the motor more than the monitoring and enjoy the ride or sail.

Dave Neptune
    Last edited by Dave Neptune; 01-06-2021, 12:41 PM. Reason: forgot the tach

Comment

• scratchee
      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
      I think that if your worried about everything you should get things upgraded until you trust the motor more than the monitoring and enjoy the ride or sail.
      That's a fair and insightful observation. My engine is running well now, but a few years ago I had a series of over-heating events that by all rights should have damaged my engine (some very stupid mistakes worthy of a separate confessional thread). In retrospect I came to believe that I probably had a number of outings where my engine was baking and I had no idea because the gauges were out of sight and the engine sounded OK.

Prologue: I'm currently putting some thought into how to get it running a little hotter...I'm sitting at about 120-125 under load.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

A loud alarm is what you need, you can't always stare at the gauges.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          A loud alarm is what you need, you can't always stare at the gauges.
          +++! When we first bought our boat, I discovered that the sensor for the high-temp alarm was disconnected. As soon as I reconnected it, I found that it went off every time we left the fuel dock! This was the result of shutting off as soon as we docked. The latent heat of the block, with no more cooling water, quickly brought the temp up over 200, which tripped the alarm as soon as we restarted. By simply idling in neutral for 30 sec or more before shutting down, this did not occur, and a subsequent rework of the cooling system eliminated this problem.

My point is, you need that alarm! Up until then, we had not noticed the brief overheat because we were busy undocking and not looking at the gauges. I'm guessing the PO got tired of hearing it and just disconnected it!
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            Joe, Nice tach!
            That tach has its very own thread.
            Joe Della Barba