Where do you guys have your engine instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scratchee
    • Feb 2020

Where do you guys have your engine instruments?

When motoring I generally sit on the starboard side with the throttle and gear shift between my legs. The fan, choke, and starter button are down by my feet in a recessed panel, and I can operate them by feel. The problem is that the instruments--tach, oil pressure, and temp--are down on the same panel as the controls and I have to bend down like I'm tying my shoes to see them. I'd really prefer something that I could check at a glance. Does anyone have a creative solution? I suppose I could just mount another panel on the other side of the cockpit, but is anyone using a digital panel or other remote system that could be easily relocated?
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

I have a seat on the transom and sit behind the helm. Gauges are on prt side by in line with the binnacle. I actually have to bend forward toward the wheel, toward the stb side and glance to the prt side to see the gauges. From my perch on the stern of the boat I can see directly through the dodger and can easily make a slight move here and there to glance anywhere. All of my sails hae a slight Yankee cut for visibility, no deck sweepers. Makes life easy. In the pic I'm sitting on my perch.

Sometimes I move to one side or the other but not that often.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mo; 01-03-2021, 11:29 AM. Reason: pic added
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

I too have a seat on the transom that lets me sit behind the helm, on either side of the backstay.

Engine instruments, and depth gauge, are on the vertical face of the bridgedeck. Chartplotter, autopilot, and radio remote mic are mounted on the pedestal guard and reachable from the helm seat. Engine controls are standard Edson controls on the pedestal.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• scratchee
        • Feb 2020

I guess one issue is my tiller steering, which traditionally requires sitting on one side of the cockpit. So the controls are located on the side, and the instruments with them. When I think about putting them on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit, it just seems like a lot of real estate required inside.

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by scratchee View Post
          I guess one issue is my tiller steering, which traditionally requires sitting on one side of the cockpit. So the controls are located on the side, and the instruments with them. When I think about putting them on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit, it just seems like a lot of real estate required inside.
          The other issue is guests. If they sit with their back to bulkhead you won't see your gauges. I have that issue with the kids all the time with the depth sounder.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Mo View Post
            I have a seat on the transom and sit behind the helm. Gauges are on prt side by in line with the binnacle. I actually have to bend forward toward the wheel, toward the stb side and glance to the prt side to see the gauges. From my perch on the stern of the boat I can see directly through the dodger and can easily make a slight move here and there to glance anywhere. All of my sails hae a slight Yankee cut for visibility, no deck sweepers. Makes life easy. In the pic I'm sitting on my perch.

Sometimes I move to one side or the other but not that often.
            That is my original gelcoat color. My wife wants to repaint the boat back to that.
            Attached Files
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

water temp and oil pressure are on the aft end of the cabin and can be seen from anywhere in the cockpit. (on the firewall)

Tach and ammeter are in the cabin.

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                That is my original gelcoat color. My wife wants to repaint the boat back to that.
                Joe, that color is very forgiving. It was one of the reasons I bought the boat. My first C&C 24 was Stars and Stripes Blue as well. I was in the Arctic running a clinic when I saw a pic of the 30 I now own....maybe it was the familiarity of the color. Anyway, via satellite link I talked to the owner and bought it. Never even saw it....what could go wrong? She needed work, I knew that, and it took me 8 weeks working on her everyday to bring her around summer 2007.

That color doesn't show rubs, scrapes etc as clearly as a darker color...good compromise.

PS, I love the 35 and the 40. Good boats.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

When motoring I generally sit on the starboard side with the throttle and gear shift between my legs. The fan, choke, and starter button are down by my feet in a recessed panel, and I can operate them by feel. The problem is that the instruments--tach, oil pressure, and temp--are down on the same panel as the controls and I have to bend down like I'm tying my shoes to see them. I'd really prefer something that I could check at a glance. Does anyone have a creative solution? I suppose I could just mount another panel on the other side of the cockpit, but is anyone using a digital panel or other remote system that could be easily relocated?
                  OIL-WATER-FUEL at the helm and these on the cabin bulkhead:
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• cowlum
                    • Aug 2020

If my boat were fresh I’d just send ordinary data such as rpm/temp to wifi (nmea probably) and display it on the tablet. Audio alarm for anything critica amd probable shutdown. This would eliminate holes in the boat, misreading and fires common to wiring. But as it is, my boat is 50 years old and came with a holes precut and the birds nest pre-wired. As per the pic. Easy viewing.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by cowlum; 01-04-2021, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• scratchee
                      • Feb 2020

My best answer might end up being audible alarms for low oil pressure and high temp. The two I feel compelled to check frequently are RPM and temp (rpm for reference, temp for engine health). I could put a couple on the bulkhead but I don't want them ALL on the bulkhead.

Comment

• scratchee
                        • Feb 2020

Oh looky here....(engine warning kit from Moyer):

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

My best answer might end up being audible alarms for low oil pressure and high temp. The two I feel compelled to check frequently are RPM and temp (rpm for reference, temp for engine health). I could put a couple on the bulkhead but I don't want them ALL on the bulkhead.
                          I have that and am looking to add coolant flow. My fuel pressure gauge has a warning light for under 1 PSI.
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• GregH
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2015

In my Alberg the instrument panel is tucked under the Starboard bench. Also being right handed helps such that I always sit on the Port side. That, or I stand with the tiller between the legs for a stretch.
                            Greg
                            1975 Alberg 30
                            sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                              OIL-WATER-FUEL at the helm and these on the cabin bulkhead:
                              Joe, Nice tach!
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X