Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers

#1   IP: 71.243.118.66
Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Looking for info on a shift cable

Austerity is a 1972 30 ft Pearson with tiller and on the side cockpit shifter and throttle cables. I'm inquiring if anybody has had to replace the shifter cable and where can I purchase one? From my measurements, I have found that this cable to be a heavy duty cable. The dimensions is the threaded ends are 5/16-24 both ends, 4.00" of travel, solid end caps and over all length of 11.00 ft.

Thanks,
Greg
  #2   IP: 71.171.225.134
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 PM

Greg,

Out of curiosity, why do you have to replace the cable?

I have a 1966 Pearson Coaster, also 30'. At one time I thought the cable on it was bad, or at least badly screwed up, but it turned out that one end of the cable sheath had come loose of its moorings. Once I fixed that problem, it has worked fine.

Mike
  #3   IP: 69.0.50.104
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Afourian MVP

I went through this ten years ago with my Tartan 30, which needs a 13' cable. My original cable was a Marmac, bought out by Morse, and subsequently bought out by Teleflex. At the time, Teleflex only made them to order, meaning a week or two to get a replacement. Teleflex number at that time was CC695xx, with xx being the length in feet. I think I bought my replacement cable from Hamilton Marine, a Morse 304-262-004-01560 (43 series), where 156 is the length in inches. I also bought new clevises and clips. Been working fine ever since. Your best bet is to make some phone calls - you never know who's going to have your cable on the shelf (and perhaps ready to sell to you at 1989 prices!).
  #4   IP: 68.238.249.105
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Cables

Also replaced the cable on my Tartan 30. I special ordered it through West Marine and it took about 4-5 days.
  #5   IP: 24.63.91.175
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Looking for info on a shift cable

Guys,
Thanks for the input... As for why? My Cable jacket is torn in some areas, but that doesn"t bother me. Some of the cable wires ( the outer core) are totally rusted and broken.Thinking it will break when coming into a dock, always at the worst time. So I'm trying to be proactive about it.
So new problem has risen since Friday. My engine will only stay running when the choke is on fully open. I bought a rebuilt carb last year and it worked great until yesterday. My guess the float is stuck open, but I'm not sure.
Can someone tell me if they ever feel confident that they can go out and the engine will not act up! some times I feel like I'm walking on eggshells every time out.

Greg
  #6   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

I like your use of the word "proactive". In the age of ethanol we need to be on guard against debris in the fuel system. Make sure you have at least two good filters, one with water separator (cartridge type is easiest). You probably have a fuel restiction causing your current problem.
  #7   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Greg,

First, as to the nature of your reported problem, time to take the carb apart again. Sounds like partially clogged jets, float valve issues or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austerity View Post
Can someone tell me if they ever feel confident that they can go out and the engine will not act up! some times I feel like I'm walking on eggshells every time out.
The nature of this forum is to discuss problems and solutions so that's what you'll see here. There isn't a topic for 'My engine ran perfect yesterday' although I'm sure if there were you'd read plenty of success stories.

My advice is to stay on top of maintenance and be aggressive about repairs. For example, a few years ago (right after buying my boat and before going through the engine) my A4 died underway, acted like fuel starvation. Rather than chase one thing at a time, my solution was new fuel lines, new electric fuel pump, new fuel filter, carburetor rebuild and drain and replace the fuel in the tank, essentially a complete new fuel system. The result was trouble free operation thereafter.

Some might argue with this approach, saying it's a waste of money. I see it as insurance. The peace of mind is worth the expense and if we can afford a boat, we should be able to afford to maintain it.

I rebuild my carb regularly (every 2 - 3 years) regardless of performance, why wait for trouble? I acid flush my cooling system at similar intervals, fresh water flush my raw water cooled engine after each use, replace my fuel filter annually and never fuel up at the marina fuel dock, preferring to tote fuel to the boat in jerry cans from the corner gas station, the list goes on.

And if there were a topic for bragging, I'd be the first to post. My A4 starts every time within 1 second of cranking regardless of layoff time, runs smooth with excellent throttle response, temperature is rock steady.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #8   IP: 142.68.247.29
Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austerity View Post
I don't worry about our A4 now, and so do several others here, so have heart. Of course one must always be prepared for the unexpected at sea...