Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 148.170.240.1
Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Afourian MVP

So - pros versus cons re: Indigo prop?

Well from what I'm reading here and in the prop FAQ at the Moyer Marine web site, it seems that there are nearly zero negative comments regarding the Indigo 3-blade prop, and the general consensus is it works very well with a direct-drive A4.

I'm leaning towards going ahead and buying one, as using the prop that is on the boat now (which has been on it for years, as far as I know), the engine never gets above about 1700 rpm at WOT.

The previous owner told me he had the timing and everything checked by a marine mechanic and the engine did run very well, so I figured the only thing left was the prop. The surveyor agreed that was the likely culprit.

I guess the primary potential downside is increased drag from the 3-blade versus the existing 2-blade prop.

But being as my prop is in a cutout between the rudder and stern end of the keel, I'm wondering if that increase in frontal surface area might potentially be minimized. Here's a lousy photo:

Also, Indigo states that the increase is about 9%, so I'm thinking that on a 30-foot, 10,000 - 12,000 lb. boat (1968 Pearson Wanderer), the extra drag of that prop likely will be so small as to be negligible and not noticeable. After all, I'm not racing; I'm just cruising around the Chesapeake Bay.

All in all, it looks like to me that it probably is worth it to drop the $$ on the Indigo prop, but I figured I'd drop a note to see if anyone has any other "cons" I should consider to balance out all the "pro" comments I've seen, before plonking down another few hundred bucks and yet another new thing for das boot.

Thanks...

Relentless pursuer of lost causes