X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bayou Sailor
    • Sep 2020

Can I have Ethyl if she's working?

Down here on the bayou we are about done with hurricane season. I recently bought some gas for my generator. Now I have about 15 gal extra. Due to long lines regular gas was out so I bought premium. Is there any problem with putting premium in the A4? Thanks.
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

No harm. No benifit either.

Been a long time since I've heard premium referred to as "Ethyl"! These days, when someone refers to Ethyl, they're usually talking about alcohol.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Bayou Sailor
      • Sep 2020

I remember some movie from the 70's and the guy went to the "Filling Station" and told the attendant "fill'er up with Ethyl if she's working or her sister if she ain't". Don't remember the name of the movie or the actor. Funny how things like that stick with you.

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Bayou Sailor View Post
        I remember some movie from the 70's and the guy went to the "Filling Station" and told the attendant "fill'er up with Ethyl if she's working or her sister if she ain't". Don't remember the name of the movie or the actor. Funny how things like that stick with you.
        Burt Reynolds in the movie WW and the Dixie Dance Kings (source IMDB)
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• wakemutant
          • Oct 2020

Hii Don't remember the name of the movie or the actor. Funny how things like that stick with you COPPER SLEEVE-DOUBLE-BLACK - SLEEVECD-XXBK
          . Been a long time since I've heard premium referred to as "Ethyl"! These days, when someone refers to Ethyl, they're usually talking about alcohol.
          Last edited by wakemutant; 11-26-2020, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

The 'ethyl' refers to tetraethyl lead. Added to petroleum fuels until folks started to worry about it's poisonous qualities. Leaded gas is still sold in countries such as Algeria, Iraq, N Korea.

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
              The 'ethyl' refers to tetraethyl lead. Added to petroleum fuels until folks started to worry about it's poisonous qualities. Leaded gas is still sold in countries such as Algeria, Iraq, N Korea.
              And at the airport. There was a time when I could buy car gas and stick it in some airplanes, but ethanol-gas put an end to that
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• ArtJ
                • Sep 2009

I saw a guy today with a spare wheel on his JEEP which
                was colorfully painted

Shark Removal

( SHARK TEETH LOGO )

Quint

Amity

Robert Shaw's family would love it!!
                Last edited by ArtJ; 11-20-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Al Schober
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jul 2009

Are you sure about airport gas? I thought it was just E-zero - no alcohol. didn't think they still had lead in it.
                  Used to know Methyl and Ethyl well - the Ketone sisters.

Comment

• Bayou Sailor
                    • Sep 2020

Yeah, Ethyl was the popular one. Methyl not so much. In todays world she would need counseling and therapy.

Comment

• Al Schober
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jul 2009

Methyl and Ethyl used to double date a lot with the Polyester boys.

Comment

• toddster
                        • Aug 2011

They say that kids who grew up since the ban have about a 5 point IQ advantage over those of us who grew up breathing the stuff. Dunno... I can't see it in action.

Personally, I don't put anything except ethanol-free premium into my gas cans or any of the small engines (including the A4) that are fed from them. Saves confusion and grief.

Comment

• Bayou Sailor
                          • Sep 2020

I don't know about that IQ thing. In the 60's and 70's we never thought about getting our nose, lip, eyelid or tongue pierced, sniffing household cleaner, eating tide pods, or many other disgusting things I hear about these days. I guess we weren't smart enough to realize how great those things could be!

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                            Are you sure about airport gas? I thought it was just E-zero - no alcohol. didn't think they still had lead in it.
                            Used to know Methyl and Ethyl well - the Ketone sisters.
                            Avgas most definitely has lead in it. Besides for being 100 octane it is formulated on the assumption it will be sitting around a while before being burned.
                            Airports USED to have 2 grades, 80 and 100. The 80 octane that had little lead or maybe none. That got discontinued and now 100LL is all there is. "Low Lead" is only in contrast to the old 100/130 or 115/145 octane fuel, it has a LOT of lead in it.
                            This really sucks for low compression airplanes designed to run on 80 octane.For a while we could run car gas, but then ethanol killed that off and now we have to use 100LL and then add TCP to the gas to prevent lead fouling of spark plugs and sticky valves. TCP is quite toxic, I am always careful handing it.
                            So the moral of the story is I have to use one toxic chemical to fight the effects of another one because someone had the bright idea to subsidize Big Ag and require corn in gasoline
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• toddster
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Bayou Sailor View Post
                              I don't know about that IQ thing. In the 60's and 70's we never thought about getting our nose, lip, eyelid or tongue pierced,
                              Well... not on purpose, anyway!

Comment

Working...
                              X