• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Balmar Alternator for A4

After a lot of thought, and a bunch of measurements over the 3-day Memorial Day weekend, I've decided to upgrade to a 3-stage external smart charger/regulator system for my alternator. I plan to do some offshore cruising, and my measured charge times and rates with the stock Mando 55A alternator will require just too many hours of engine runtime per day to make up our daily usage.

And based on the comments here about running the 55amp Mando at high currents for long periods of time causing it to run hot, I've decided to upgrade to a 100 A alternator instead of modifying the Mando. I know I still won't get more than about 40 or 50A out of it (due to the low RPMs in a normal A4 installation (sorry Hanley!)), but I expect it'll run much cooler.

So, after casting around, I found this:

It's a 110 A Balmar Alternator (712-110) with the ARS-5 smart regulator that I wanted. According to the Balmar selection guide, its 2" foot will fit the A4 mounting bracket. Has anyone here used the Balmar 712 alternator? Any issues with mounting it or belt size? The pulley is listed as a '2.7" deep V' pulley, but no width is specified. I know that Balmar normally specifies a 1/2" belt for 100A alternators, but since I'll only be pulling 40-50A out of it, I figure the 3/8" belt will be fine.

Can I use this pulley with the 3/8" belt, or will I have to find another pulley to fit? I'm down less than 3 weeks 'til we leave on a trip, and I'd like to get this installed before then, so I appreciate any help/info I can get.
    Last edited by edwardc; 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I used to sell Balmars. I can't say anything bad about them except you could probably get 3 or 4 100A marine Delco alternators off of Fleabay for the same price and have some spares
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• lhbradley
      • Oct 2004

Balmar Alternator for A4

I've got the older model Balmar - a 90 amp version - I forget the exact number, and I'm at home, not at the boat. I'm using the MaxCharge regulator.

It works just fine with a 3/8 belt. BUT use the best quality belt you can buy. I use a Gates 3VX250. It is a v-notch belt. And try to get the belt tension right - too loose and you will burn the belt. Been there, done that.

Running at about 1800 RPM, I can get 60 amps or so into my 450 AH bank.
      Larry Bradley
      C&C Corvette 31 "Lady Di"
      Clark's Marina
      Gananoque, ON, Canada
      in the beautiful Thousand Island
      of the St. Lawrence River

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by lhbradley View Post
        ...It works just fine with a 3/8 belt. BUT use the best quality belt you can buy. I use a Gates 3VX250. ...
        Thanks for the info. So you found that you had to go back to the 25" belt? With the 55A Mando, Don recommended going to a 26" belt, and that's what I run now. How is your adjustment range? Are you close to the stops at either end when tensioned properly? Any interference with the distributor? These are all problems I've heard hints of, but haven't seen any hard data.
        Last edited by edwardc; 05-29-2012, 01:30 PM.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Ed, As you know I have the 712 -110. It will come with a sheave that wants a 1/2" belt. You should upgrade your acc drive sheave at a machine shop or get the larger size from MM. Both sizes are available. You will not be happy with a 3/8" belt and that alternator.

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            Ed, As you know I have the 712 -110. It will come with a sheave that wants a 1/2" belt. ...
            But I believe it is listed as a "deep V" pulley, which should accept a smaller belt. It'll just ride lower in the V. Larry Bradley seems to indicate this works for him. Correct me if I'm wrong Larry.

You should upgrade your acc drive sheave at a machine shop or get the larger size from MM. Both sizes are available. You will not be happy with a 3/8" belt and that alternator.
            Like I said, I don't really need anywhere near 100 Amps. The 712-110 will put out up to 60A at 2000 RPM, and almost 80A at around 2500 RPM, which is way more than I need. With my current 200 Amp-Hour house bank (gel cells), I can only bulk charge it at 40 A (20% of capacity or 0.2C) anyway. I'm expecting that a 3/8" belt will work fine for that.

I have plans in the future to go to a 300-400 Amp-Hour house bank, and and at that time I would probably need to upgrade to a 1/2" belt to handle the 60 - 80 A bulk charging currents needed. Balmar recommends a 1/2" for anything above 75 A.

Make sense?
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

I mounted a Balmer 100 amp to the flywheel end off a PTO. I use a half inch belt. The accessory drive powers the raw water pump.
              When I was planning the job, I found that a 3/8 belt might not be enough. Since I had enough room, I did it this way.

I have posted 2 pictures, I hope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1390.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	860.6 KB
ID:	193171
              Attached Files

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Romantic Comedy, I am interested in your set up but could you resize those pics; it's hard to see stuff.

Comment

• Loki9
                  • Jul 2011

Romantic Comedy, I am interested in your set up but could you resize those pics; it's hard to see stuff.
                  Right click->View Image helps.
                  Jeff Taylor
                  Baltic 38DP

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Ed,

If you're even thinking of a 1/2" belt you'd better get a replacement 1/2" auxiliary drive pulley on order mas rapido.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tenders
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

I have the 105 amp alternator on my engine and a 3/8", 26" belt on the stock sheave. My battery bank is relatively small, but even so, when running the inverter at 1500-2000 watts (heat gun + small shop vac) I haven't had the slightest issue with the belt slipping.

I've concluded that I'm not running the alternator at anywhere near its max output so there isn't a need for a wider belt.

Comment

• edwardc
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                        Ed,

If you're even thinking of a 1/2" belt you'd better get a replacement 1/2" auxiliary drive pulley on order mas rapido.
                        Neil,

Thanks for the warning. But I'm spoiled being almost local to MMI. I usually get parts in 1-2 days!

But based on all the inputs I've gotten here, plus other inputs off-list, I've pretty much concluded that I'd be foolish to rush this significant upgrade project at the last minute. Something is bound to not go smoothly and put our whole trip at risk, since we can't really slip it due to work constraints.

Guess I'll just have to put up with a lot of daily engine runtime this time.
                        @(^.^)@ Ed
                        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                          • Mar 2011

So.....Ed

What are you going to do with your old Mando when you replace it?
                          Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
                          1973 Pearson 33
                          1967 Bristol 27
                          sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Ed, I agree. Something always goes wrong with a new system.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Bold Rascal View Post
                              What are you going to do with your old Mando when you replace it?

Haven't decided. Now that there's no (well, less) time pressure, I may take the longer approach of doing it in stages, first modifying the mando for an external regulator and getting the ARS-5 smart regulator installed & working.

Then, later, get a bigger alt and probably keep the Mando as a spare.
                              @(^.^)@ Ed
                              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X