Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Exhaust System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 174.254.192.129
Old 10-04-2020, 04:42 PM

Manifold/Blow-by resolution

Name:  E474CEB9-CFDA-4652-8EF1-9060D385F2B6.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  162.2 KB

Which manifold should I use?

The light blue manifold that says “Universal” came with the engine and I have seen blow-by emanating from its connection to the block.

The cause may not be the manifold itself, but rather because the three bolts were a bit rusted and the nuts weren’t on as securely as they should have been despite a Herculean effort getting it to 35fp using a torque wrench.

It may also be because the manifold gasket had no sealant on either side of it, though I know that the gasket is not supposed to have any sealant on it (it’s supposed to go on dry). But I’m putting sealant on it anyway when it goes back on.

The other manifold that says “MMI” is one I scored awhile back. It looks like it has not been used or only slightly. Side note: why does it have a removable “cap” in the fore? And why is the aft bolt hole oblong in shape?