Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 174.56.130.164
Old 09-21-2020, 08:44 PM

Removed water jacket plates. Now what?

Hi Afourians, hope all are well. Engine ran hot during last outing, 9/13/2020. Real hot and shut down. Got tow to home dock. The boat had been laid up in a yard for 3 yrs before being splashed Feb 22 2020. I had emptied the cooling system sometime in the first year of dry dock when boatyard mgr was being non compliant. Prior to leaving dock after splash, I vinegar soaked and flushed the engine, changed all fuel fittings, fuel tank removed and cleaned out totally, cleaned carb, replaced all lines and filters. Got the engine running with 2 new batteries, exhaust flow good. Ran well at dock. Motored 4 hours very uneventfully from boatyard to home dock with normal temp, oil pressure, at approximately 5 kts per hour. Took boat out 2x in Spring, 2020, water temp was uncharacteristically warm, like 180-190, motoring back to slip. Fast forward to 9/13/2020, engine ran hot immediately upon entering currant against us. In about 3 minutes Engine shut down on her own and I called for tow.
I’ve removed the alternator to remove the side water jacket plate on that side. Full of crud. The little pipe cap diverted was buried in the crud. I removed by hand as much crud as I could. There’s a still a little bit left in there.
Question 1: with the water jacket plate removed, can I just shoot some fresh water in there and clean this out? (I had removed the distributor cap for better access but covered it to prevent dirt/water ingress-Petronix electronic ignition).
Question 2: if this side of the block is so full of crud, I guess I need to remove the carb side water jacket plate and do the same. Concur?
Question 3: would it be better/easier to reassemble and just fresh water high pressure flush?
Question 4: IF, AND I SAY IF, a new head gasket is in order, should I reassemble? There is no milky appearance in oil at all. There was oily smoke burning out of the exhaust prior to shutdown, not huge amounts, but some. There is smoke coming from engine compartment but I can’t determine from where. ?? I’ve tried to fan the smoke away to see the origin but still cannot tell.
Lastly, Question 5: can the engine start without the alternator ? The starter is still on, just not the alternator.
Late model A4 in a v-drive C&C 33-1. Don’t understand how she can make a great 4 hr motor down river, then this.
Chas., SC
The Following User Says Thank You to blhickson For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-21-2020)