• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

#1 Unapproved

Temperature Gauge question

Hi Don,

I recently purchased a water temperature gauge and sender (ISSPRO) for my late model A4. I sheared the square plug while trying to install my sender. I tried to remove the bushing but it appears to be locked up pretty good. While I did apply lots of penetrating oil and quite a bit of pressure, I couldn't get the bushing to budge. My next plan of attack is to apply some heat with a torch and use a pipe for more leverage on the bushing. Being at novice at this, I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to wind up cracking the head. How hard can I lean on this sucker? Do you have any recommendations on the best way to install a temperature sender at this point? Is there another way I can install a thermostat and get reliable readings?

I appreciate any help you can provide! Below is a link to a picture of the sheared off plug. (you also might be entertained by the pics of my clogged up thermostat, housing, etc.).

http://www.goodoldboats.com./ATOMIC4...tatremoval.htm

Thanks,

Mark A. Bunch, Sr.
  • MarkBunch
    • Mar 2005

Thanks!

Don,

Thanks for your advice. I was able to successfully install the water temperature sender after drilling and tapping the plug on the front of the head. I used a hacksaw to cut off the front of the plug, then I started drilling until I was up to an 11/16" bit. Finally, I used a 1/2" NPT pipe tap to fix up the threads. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

Here are the pics:

Mark A. Bunch, Sr.

Comment

• ButchPetty
      • Jul 2010

ISSPRO Temp Guage

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the Moyer Marine Product No. - GAUG_09_178 (ISSPRO) temp guage intermittently working?
      Mine has had this issue since day one.
      Or is there a reason that it is doing this that I have not found yet?
      Most of the time it works fine......and then sometimes it doesn't work at all. :O
      sigpic
      ButchPetty.com

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

First eliminate the ground path as the problem starting with the block. Test resistance between block and negative on battery and continuity from where ever the gauge is mounted.

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

Following Hanley's lead, you didn't by chance install the sending unit using Teflon tape, did you?

Bill

Comment

• ButchPetty
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
            Following Hanley's lead, you didn't by chance install the sending unit using Teflon tape, did you?

Bill
            Holy _ _ _ _ !!! Yep, I think I did. Got to check that out. Makes good sense.
            Thanks.
            sigpic
            ButchPetty.com

Comment

Working...
            X