Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 172.59.64.48
Old 12-10-2022, 10:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Weird, really weird problem...

The reversing gear isn't working properly on my buddy's A4. Here's what happened. A very long piece of wire wrapped the shaft inside the boat, I think it stopped the shaft from turning, or severely restricted it.
Now, the prop turns in reverse when put in forward, and forward when put in drive. Very little torque however. The fingers are moving properly when put in gear, up over the hump into the groove, but the prop is turning in reverse. The retaining pin is fine, I don't see any problem there.
We have not done an adjustment as yet, that will be the next step after soliciting your opinions. What I'm wondering is this - if the shaft was stopped from turning by this wire, obviously the entire gear was stopped. Could something have been turned 180° to cause what we're seeing?
I can't for the life of me figure this out. Any ideas anyone?
  #2   IP: 162.245.50.238
Old 12-11-2022, 10:27 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Have you tried operating the trans with the engine off?

First disconnect the shifting cable and remove the cover. Then see if you can rotate the shaft by hand in neutral. The only friction you should encounter is the restriction of the packing on the shaft. If it moves then the clutches are not stuck.

Then shift into forward and try rotating again by hand. If it is now "locked" in forward you should not be able to rotate against the engine.

Do try in reverse while holding the lever to keep it engaged. Try rotating both the shaft and the "clutch drum". They should not rotate.

I doubt you have anything broken in the trans but may have worn the clutches with the wire causing them to slip. If the reversing band is stuck there should be no forward.

The forward clutch pack locks the whole assembly, thus the direct drive. And the forward clutches should be released so the "band clutch-brake" holds the drum secure causing the planetary to operate reversing the shaft. All the parts are "engaged" and just the clutches determine what rotates.

It just may be the "wire" restricting the shaft caused enough wear so that all that is needed is readjusting of both.

Remember it is normal for the shaft to rotate in neutral as the friction even when the clutches are disengaged and the engine is running. Neutral can be very ellusive on the direct drive as there is really no true neutral position. And reverse does require pressure on the shifter to stay engaged unlike forward which locks in.

Dave Neptune
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
Canuck Sailor (12-12-2022), Mo (12-29-2022)
  #3   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 12-11-2022, 01:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,024 Times in 719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post

First disconnect the shifting cable

Dave Neptune
Step 1 to any tranny problems. If the cable is disturbed in any way nothing else you do is going to fix it.
Maryland USA
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
Canuck Sailor (12-12-2022)

Tags
reverse gear, transmission