X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevinstone
    • Dec 2014

Restarting issue

I’m having restarting issues after engine has been run for a while. Shutting down to go through a lock does not want to start easily. Cranks for a while before starting. Cold start takes 2 seconds of cranking. Runs perfect when running. Assumed it was coil so swapped that with new. Same issue. Also installed new dist cap and rotor. I have electronic ignition so no points. After sitting a bit. Starts like a champ. Plugs are new look fine no fouling

Any thoughts from the group?
  • CRUX
    • Nov 2019

I had similar restarting issues. Started first time every time cold. Once it had ran, it would only restart after multiple cranks with the throttle wide open and no choke.

Ended up being the float valve not seating correctly.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Ae you using any choke when you warm start? A properly tuned A4 needs brief full choke to start even when the engine is warm.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

There was a ignition shutdown a few years ago due tocoil being overheated
        by a type of electronic ignition. The group here found the issue and came
        up with a recommended series dropping resistor solution.

I believe this issue does not occur with the ignitor ignition.

Best Art

Comment

• Ando
          • Jul 2019

How’s your oil pressure (at ignition and after running for a while)?

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

I too am thinking this could be a mixture issue.
            An A4 that's working right needs choke when it's cold, but no choke when it's warm. If you're starting easily when cold, you might be running rich.
            Suggest checking that the choke is opening fully and that the flame arrestor screen isn't clogged. The height of the floats in the float bowl could also be off, allowing too high a fuel level in the float bowl.
            I also like the adjustable main jet - in spite of it's tendency to clog more readily that a fixed jet.

Comment

• Kevinstone
              • Dec 2014

I’ve checked all the suggestions already thank you. The next mystery is that if I shutdown and restart immediately it starts fine. Wait 10 minutes and I have to crank for a while. I’ll change fuel pump tomorrow to rule that out. I have no fuel pressure gauge installed

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

First try using the choke after 5 minutes then start throwing parts at it.

A good running A-4 SHOULD BE HARD TO STAR WHEN WARM as it is an "updraft carb" which almost always will need the choke. The choke has breathers designed specifically for this issue.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Kevinstone
                  • Dec 2014

Thanks Dave. Thing is that this is a new issue. Traveling the locks we try to shut down when locking and always restarts with no choke until now that is

Comment

• Kevinstone
                    • Dec 2014

Choke operation checks out ok. Swapped out electronic ignition and that seems to have solved it. Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                    X