Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Tartan

#101   IP: 71.181.37.48
Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Yes he did, but that is a different issue. I am not sure of the timing, I think
he used the standpipe for a while first. As I mentioned, i did install
the hard Calcium Silicate initially, but removed it because it shed powder.
Tom put the fiberglass wrap over and never had any shedding. I switched
to the Exhaust wrap, which has worked, but it would have been better
had I followed Tom's lead. I cut away the bottom of the cabinet which
was closest to the 90 degree elbow, added some additional wrap and
some stove pipe tin as shielding. It has also worked, but I may revert
to the hard stuff as it provides better protection, relatively easy to
install and lasts forever.

I definitely like the standpipe and the protection it provides for deep installed engines and would never remove it.

Best Regards

Art
  #102   IP: 160.79.139.10
Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Caveat Emptor

All -

Just a final note on this issue, in case anyone else ever is a dumb as I am.

So, I paid for the excellent standpipe muffler from Don. Yay Don!!! You are awesome.

So my boat had broken down about an hour plus from home, electrical issue, appeared to be alternator, and as it was far away I had the local yard install a new alternator - and figured while they were at it, they could install the standpipe too. Less down time, more sailing time, right?

Wrong.

That was over a month ago. Shortly after this, I overheated,. I blamed myself. And I got a lot of water in the oil. Oh crap. Head gasket? Manifold? Water Jacket? Head? NOPE.

Don bailed me out - they had installed the standpipe BACKWARDS.

EXHAUST IN - bottom. COMBINED EXHAUST and WATER - out the side. It was such a neat job and done by professions (who charged me $800, incidentally, thats what happens when you break down...) it took me a good long while to clue in to the obvious mistake staring me in the face.

Well I know a hell of a lot about Atomic 4s now. Hoping to get my $800 bucks back too.
  #103   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Larry Pardey made a comment decades ago: (paraphrased) There should be nothing on board you cannot repair yourself. There are no repairmen at sea.

I took this to heart when I read it, made complete sense. Larry's application of his mantra was to do without things he could not or preferred not to deal with. No engine was the glaring example but he also did without electricity favoring kerosene navigation and cabin lighting, did without running water and did without a marine head favoring a cedar bucket. Although I follow the mantra the best I can, I'm not as spartan as Larry.

This very pricey and dead wrong yard repair further supports my application of the mantra: No one touches my boat except for me or under my direct supervision, period.

The yard I use accommodates owners doing their own work, a minimum requirement for me. The lift operator and I have a detailed discussion including an underbody profile drawing before the boat is lifted. The only task the yard is contracted to perform is rolling on bottom paint and I keep an eye on that too. OCD? You betcha.

It's too bad yards have the reputation they do especially considering their labor rates. For expert rates I expect expert work and that seems to be the missing connection. Good thing I enjoy the work.

Jack, good on ya for getting to the bottom of it, sorry for the lost time and best of luck getting a refund.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 07-27-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: no matter how many times I proofread . . . . . .
  #104   IP: 174.58.82.173
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Afourian MVP

I am a cursed person. I have to do everything myself. The very few times that I had someone do work for me were bad. I honestly dont know how people have others work on their house, boat, plane, camper, motorcycle, or bicycle.

It is a curse though.
  #105   IP: 199.173.226.235
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
If I want to spend the cash, we do have excellent yards in my area that can do a superb job at about anything*. They cost a LOT. I almost never use their services, but I will give a shout-out to Smith's Marina on the Severn that replaced by shaft, replaced my cutless bearing, and got my prop reconditioned. All was one schedule, on budget, and done right the first time.

* I say about anything instead of anything because it is, IMHO, very hard to find a decent A4 mechanic. That is the one weakness of the A4, very few shops know them, can do a good job on them, or even want to see them. In my area, outside of Vosbury's, buy a diesel is about all the help you can get
Unless of course you can find Don Moyer, he is across the river from me
  #106   IP: 199.173.226.235
Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
I am not a licensed A&P, but I have found out that for electrical issues sometimes if I don't stand right there and point at wires I end up right back in the shop for round two or three. Once after losing the left alternator TWICE in one day I suggested that maybe the box of alternators did not contain only bad ones and just maybe we needed to trace the wiring instead. Turns out the wire to the regulator had chafed on a wing rib opening and was full-fielding the alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romantic comedy View Post
I am a cursed person. I have to do everything myself. The very few times that I had someone do work for me were bad. I honestly dont know how people have others work on their house, boat, plane, camper, motorcycle, or bicycle.

It is a curse though.