Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 06-08-2021, 11:05 PM
Afourian MVP

Oasis first start-up of the season...

A quick update on Oasis and my spring start-up.

I put my A4 to bed for her winter nap carefully and referring to Don's and other checklists. Reading threads that applied, I am in New England. I flushed and reflushed the engine with bypass a couple of times, full gas with treatment, fogged, and used syringe to treat cylinders to some extra MMO lube, etc. Then started to checklist my way into my first start-up today.

I could not be more pleased to hear my engine start on the 7th remote start crank. Then restart and even find an idle without having adjusted idle or rpm yet from work last fall. Exhaust system looks tight, probably 1 more run and wrap up the pipes before I splash in a week/two .

Best part was restarting the engine without needing choke a couple of times and again finding a nice low idle. Don't know exactly why I found this such a pleasure.

I have been studying and starting to affordably collect A4 parts and a couple of engines for future FWC build or rebuild should need arise.

When I took a look a look at my engine today, she was not so strange to me. She was cleaner than I remembered and so much more familiar (though still not without her mysteries-I have not tackled the water jacket yet). I am preparing my A4 kit for launch day and may have some questions there. For now, just focusing on the big win today and all the work and support here that has brought me to a launch date in a week or two with an auxiliary engine I trust.

Priority Punchlist
-Wrap exhaust install CO monitor (order manifold flange studs)
-A4 launch kit (belt, plugs, coil, impeller etc.)
-Bilge clean and paint (looks like scaping, solvent, then EZBilge)
-Engine clean and paint in-place (mainly rust protection).
-Revisit research / plan for tuning and stress testing engine on mooring or underway. Maiden voyage with her soon!

Thankful. Stay well.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA