• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadaBing
    • Jul 2007

Pearson 39

I am slightly smitten with a 1973 Pearson 39
    She has an Atomic 4 with a v drive. I haven't had a good look yet but am wondering IF the a4 would be using a reduction gear in the v drive to improve its push for this heavy boat. Spec says she weighs 13000, I'm assuming dry weight.

Anyone with any thoughts on an A4 in a Pearson 39?
    Bill
    1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
    www.CanvasWorks.US
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

You can bet she'll be heavier than 13K ... like everything else getting old, they all put on weight.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Bill,
      13000 sounds light for a 39' production boat of that vintage - did they forget some ballast?
      As for the A4, I'd be real leery if it didn't have a reduction gear. Doubt if a 1:1 would get a 39' boat up to hull speed. A friend had a 36' boat with a 1:1 and he was never happy with it. When it started to leak oil and smoke, he tore it out (it's currently in my boat!).

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

I think Al is right, I thought V-Drives were 2:1.??

I am sure some V-Drive owners/enthusiasts like Ed C can chime in, or maybe Elizabeth? I think her C&C 33 is a V-drive too.

Aren't all V-Drives a reduction at the prop?
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• tenders
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

V-drives come in at least two flavors and are easily discerned if the manufacturer's plate has fallen off.

The ones with three bolts coupling the shaft to the engine are 1:1. The ones with four bolts in that coupling are 2:1, or perhaps actually 1.7:1.

I have a 1:1 v-drive on my Ericson 32, which supposedly has an 11,000 pound displacement.

Comment

• BadaBing
            • Jul 2007

Just a slight mistake on the dry weight. Specs state 17000 lbs. She is a heavy gal.
            I have driven by this boat for years. I think it has been on the hard for at least 5 years , could be 10
            The yard owner who is selling it for the owner, supposedly moved to Hawaii, states that the engine is "newer" looks like new paint to me.
            Maybe a pipe dream, maybe a bad dream.
            Bill
            www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Bill - Taking into account the marine environment where you live, unless that boat has reduction drive it better be wicked cheap so it's feasible for you to convert it. I have an unpleasant vision of you trying to drive that boat into Absecon Inlet with an easterly wind and outgoing tide.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Info

The 1:1 units can yield about 15~18hp at 1800~2000 RPM's this limits the power available. My 35 footer is over 13K and does fine with the Indigo prop however I am still limited to about 18 usable HP~I can get a bit more at WOT however fuel consumption really goes up.
                With a 2:1 unit and 2500~2800 RPM's available you can get 25~28 HP which should push the 39 OK. It won't be fast and I would guess around 85% of hull speed would be a good cruise load and there would still be more when needed in a headwind situation.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

My 1977 Pearson 323 has a "dry" weight of 12800 lbs, and has a V-Drive with a 2:1 reduction. This spins a 15" 3-blade prop with an 8" pitch.

I cruise at 5 kts @ 2000 RPM, and can get her to 6 1/2 kts at WOT @3100 RPM,
                  but have only ever done that for testing.

The 2:1 is definitely recommended for boats in this weight class, and I've been quite satisfied with its performance.

I'm guessing you have a 2:1 on the P-39. Although the V-drives do come in a variety of reductions, all of the ones I've actually laid eyes on were all 2:1.
                  YMMV

@(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• BadaBing
                    • Jul 2007

Odd are extremely good that I will pass on this unless it were to become a gift. The fact is, although I am tempted, the prospect of beginning a refit now seems very daunting.We have out T30 in the best shape she has been since we purchased her. She is sound and fair, engine is strong and reliable and she sails like an extension of us. I like the look of the P39 but Unchained Melody seems like family now.
                    Thanks for the thoughts.
                    Bill
                    www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Bill, that may be a good choice for you, but don't we always think about a bigger boat! Your personal judgement always rules. We can always dream with you while you do all the work!

I was at my boat today and despite her age and shortcomings, I gave her a nice pat on the motor and systems and said thanks to her...I was checking in on her related to East Coast storms that are looming, but she was dry inside and willing to take me anywhere today!
                      Last edited by sastanley; 10-01-2015, 11:38 PM.
                      -Shawn
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                        Bill, that may be a good choice for you, but don't we always think about a bigger boat! Your personal judgement always rules. We can always dream with you while you do all the work!

I was at my boat today and despite her age and shortcomings, I gave her a nice pat on the motor and systems and said thanks to her...I was checking in on her related to East Coast storms that are looming, but she was dry inside and willing to take me anywhere today!
                        Exactly! Most people need and can handle a larger boat in their early adulthood when they have kids, strenght and full of desire. Usually end up with a smaller portion of the dream and when it comes time for the larger boat they are just too much to handle. Harder to get on and off the dock, more repair items and more time and effort to get it done.

Bill, I think you made a decent decision. I'm 53 and not moving up as it is hard enough to do the basics on the boat each year. Shining, bottom, purchasing sails when needed...all more time and effort on a larger boat. Odyssey, my boat, is easy to sail and I've done the time on her as you have on Unchained Melody. I know what I have, can get on and off the dock alone without issue...there's something to be said for that.

I have two good friends that are currently moving down from 34 footers and just want a trailerable 25-26 footer. They feel it is time to go smaller as everything is harder to do...and I can appreciate that because I find it harder to sail my boat like I'm used to....and it sucks because I'm a 20 yr old in a 53 year old body.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mo View Post
                          ....and it sucks because I'm a 20 yr old in a 53 year old body.
                          LOL...+1, Mo, +1!!!!
                          -Shawn
                          sigpic

Comment

• BadaBing
                            • Jul 2007

It's seems strange to have graduated to being one of "the old guys". I am seeking up on 61.
                            The lust for a larger boat stems from my unrelenting wish to go further with more creature comforts. That being said, how much comfort could I want on a sailboat and still feel like I'm a sailor and not a guest of a cruise company.

After a half hatred attempt to seek Unchained Melody off, both at a reasonable price and a low price the adameril and I have come to the conclusion that "she is our ride, and a fine ride she is"

On the creature comfort side I could go nuts upgrading the few things I would want and never come close to spending nearly what I would flush away if I sold her and a fraction of a larger boat refit project.

Toward a more logical end I'm turning my attention to upgrading my sails, adding an energy efficient refer package to my super insulated icebox and converting my hot water, or I should say, beefing it up with a heat exchanger to make how water from the engine cooling vs. The electric heater. The electric will serve as a backup and or hot water holding tanks.
                            Bill
                            www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• Administrator
                              MMI Webmaster
                              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                              LOL...+1, Mo, +1!!!!
                              Would that I could be in a 53 year old body....

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X