Direct drive prop shaft coupling, with split hub (3/4 inch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gfatula
    • Oct 2008

Direct drive prop shaft coupling, with split hub (3/4 inch)

Hi,

Has anyone used Don's Direct drive prop shaft coupling, with split hub (3/4 inch)?

George
    gfatula
    s/v Tundra Down
    Seal Harbor, Maine
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

No, but I sure wish it had existed the last two times I had to take my press-fit coupling off of the shaft. I would have cut the old coupling off with a Sawzall and been many hours and several layers of knuckle skin ahead of the game.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Same here!

tenders, I too wold of liked the split coupler for ease of instalation and removal. I pulled my shaft in the water when I went to the Indigo prop to straighten the shaft however I did straighten it but the alignment was so far off the shaft did not even line up with a side of the hole. Well it is still running with a straight "flex shaft " and about a 1/2" or more of missalignment. My engine is sittiong on a corner and can go no lower to allign unless I change the mounts~ a future project. I may wind up with Shawn's same problem on the Indigo thread which was my fault! It's been this way for 42 years so I am in no big hurry until I have a leak. It does suprise me that it is still working and has no vibration to speak of. Now you .005" guys can chime in. I feel that the shaft is so small that it has no problems flexing and if I remember right it is 34" long although 42" seems to stick in my mind. I was raised in the 60's so I have a bit of an excuse here.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• gfatula
        • Oct 2008

I am "pushing" my coupler off now to replace the cutlass and the shaft log hose. I guess I will give Don's split coupler a try. The cost difference should be well worth the effort saved and I may be able to afford a dripless stuffing box in a couple of years so repeating the removal will be fairly painless.

George
        gfatula
        s/v Tundra Down
        Seal Harbor, Maine

Comment

Working...
        X