Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Safety

#26   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
If you're not going to use the lifting eye, do NOT use the standard web straps that come with your ratcheting tie-downs. They can get cut and will part quickly if cut.

Be careful!
Good tip..

Plan on using these

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-w...ing-44847.html
  #27   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
My best deadlift was 375lbs at a body weight of 178lbs in 1982

So i am guessing you were not using a hoist or a crane when you needed to pull your A4??
  #28   IP: 50.101.48.238
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val V View Post
So i am guessing you were not using a hoist or a crane when you needed to pull your A4??
Thinking if I pulled all the easily removable components off the engine (head-manifold-starter-carb-fuel pump- etc) then I would be able to get it down to 275lbs.

As long as the companionway steps could hold my 195lbs + the 275lbs of the stripped down A-4 I think I could get it up to the deck level?

#29   IP: 174.58.84.3
Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Afourian MVP

I figured that you would just use the boom in compression, to hold the lift line in position. i would just rig a pulley from the end of the boom, and lead the halyard through it. Or the line that goes to the come along lifting the engine.
  #30   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc View Post

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the placement of the hoist on the boom that is needed to lift the engine out of the companionway hatch leaves it too close to the mast to be able to swing it out over the dock. In that case you'll have to rig some kind of temporary support in the cockpit the set the engine down on while moving the hoist and halyard attachment point further out on the boom.

It can start to get complicated. But it's doable, and many have done it.

This is why I paid my yard to do it with the crane.
Ed, this is especially true on a C-30..the engine is almost amid-ships in front of the campanionway stairs. If you go look at one around your marina, and it has a mid-boom sheeting/traveler arrangement, it is just about directly under the traveler. I suspect Val will encounter two hurdles that need some thought..
#1 - the boom will be too low to swing the engine clear of the cabin..most C-30's of our vintage have the gooseneck on a track..Val, my boat has the gooseneck pinned all the way up so it doesn't slam when you drop the sail. Does yours move? You'd probably want it all the way up for this maneuver to give you more clearance between cabin & boom.
#2 - the engine will be too close to the mast to swing over the side of the boat, as you mentioned.

Both of these can be easily overcome with a little engineering.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #31   IP: 134.39.101.132
Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Shawn is correct. On a C30, once lifted using the boom you must have a way to slide the engine toward the rear of the boom to clear the house. I did it using a vang set up. One block and tackle arrnagement to lift the motor, the other to pull it back. the next time I did it, I used the following technique.

The simlest way I found was to strip as much of the heavy stuff off the engine, build a cradle for it out of 2x4's and such and two or three guys carry it out. I used 4X4beam across the top of companion way as far forward as I could and with a simple cable come-a-long, lifted the engine about two feet high. Then put the cradle under it, lag screws through the 4 mount holes into the 2x4 cradle and caried it our as if on a stretcher. The cradle looked like a ladder with and engine sitting in the middle of it. The whole arrangement was about 5' long. Sort of like having wheel barrow handles on each end. Using a couple of carpet scraps as padding, on the companion way step and one or two more on the cockpit seat and coming, two buff guys or three normal guys can carry it right out. This was with the boat in the water.

That said, if the boat is ont he hard, I would do my best to use a crane arrangement.
  #32   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
Ed, this is especially true on a C-30..the engine is almost amid-ships in front of the campanionway stairs. If you go look at one around your marina, and it has a mid-boom sheeting/traveler arrangement, it is just about directly under the traveler. I suspect Val will encounter two hurdles that need some thought..
#1 - the boom will be too low to swing the engine clear of the cabin..most C-30's of our vintage have the gooseneck on a track..Val, my boat has the gooseneck pinned all the way up so it doesn't slam when you drop the sail. Does yours move? You'd probably want it all the way up for this maneuver to give you more clearance between cabin & boom.
#2 - the engine will be too close to the mast to swing over the side of the boat, as you mentioned.

Both of these can be easily overcome with a little engineering.
I have that gooseneck vertical traveler for the boom on the mast i am just not sure if there's anyway to secure it in the up position.

Will report back to everyone after the weekend how all went. I already got great many tips.

Val
  #33   IP: 99.63.216.154
Old 10-19-2013, 01:25 PM

small boat crane needed

Val,

Surely there must be a nearby yacht club around that would let you use their small boat crane. It would be so easy with the crane. Just lift it out into the back of your pick up.

We let people use ours all the time.

dvd
  #34   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM

I am happy to report the mission was a success with few tricks i learned.

First, when i got to the marina the yard had already pulled my boat out of the water ahead of schedule. Minus to that i had to deal with about 15-17 feet from the boom to the ground. The plus is that the boat didnt heel or move.

Second, i would recommend anyone to use a chain hoist instead of a mainsheet because of the precise control for up and down. One hand easy operation.

Third, we ended up doing a two step. Raise the engine and rest on the deck. Then slide the hoist aft and raise and engine again and swing the boom to clear the side of the boat.

Fourth, to support the boom i used a bowline tie instead of putting the weight on the shackle. Also i had to extend the main halyard with a dockline so that i could get good 4 wraps around the beefy jib winch. Otherwise its too short..

Fifth, my friend and i could not lift the engine from the ground into his truck we had to call couple of guys around the yard to help. I wish we could pull up his truck right under the boat but there was just no way.

All in all, i would say this was not a difficult job and i would do it again if needed. Now come the repairs over the winter...

Thank you all for your advice and help.
  #35   IP: 76.103.195.83
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 AM

Atomic 4 removeal

OK I've removed and installed over 40 A4's by myself and here's how. I first take a tow strap with hooks on each end,I stand on the boom wrap the strap around the mast and hook it,It will stay there with tension on it while I walk back lift the boom up high enough so I'am sure the engine will clear any part of said boat in way. Some times over the top side on some boats the idea is to come close to 45 degees with the strap this puts weight half on the boom and half on the mast. I try to position the strap on the boom where I attach the come-along. I,ve used this method on engines much heavier than A4's ,Volvos MD11,MD17,Universals 5424,5432,ect. I like the boat to list helps get it on the dock! I just hold it back from getting out of control with a line around a winch. I use a refrigerator dolly to walk it up the dock. On some boats I have used a come-along rigged to the mast below decks to drift the engine foreward and aft if it is mounted way foreward like the MD11 in a bayliner buccaneer. makes a Cat 30 look easy. Athough rigging subs makes all these look easy. Works for me hope this helps. Atomic Ed
  #36   IP: 71.54.207.52
Old 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
Thinking if I pulled all the easily removable components off the engine (head-manifold-starter-carb-fuel pump- etc) then I would be able to get it down to 275lbs.

As long as the companionway steps could hold my 195lbs + the 275lbs of the stripped down A-4 I think I could get it up to the deck level?

While I can and do deadlift 350 lbs, and even occasionally pull such stunts to move stubborn things around the farm, it is very important to have a perfect set-up. Little sideways torques can ruin your back in a second. It's not worth it. About the only useful situation for deadlifting an object like that is to lift it straight up a few inches so that someone else can slip a dolly or a block underneath it. Or occasionally deadlifting a lever to move something that can slide without damaging itself or the substrate.

About the only place I could get a "clean" lift on my engine would be with my feet on the cockpit seats. But there's a perfectly good mast and boom right there... Doesn't get easier than that!

BTW, deadlifts day is Friday. It probably wouldn't work on Saturday.
  #37   IP: 50.101.48.238
Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
While I can and do deadlift 350 lbs, and even occasionally pull such stunts to move stubborn things around the farm, it is very important to have a perfect set-up. Little sideways torques can ruin your back in a second. It's not worth it. About the only useful situation for deadlifting an object like that is to lift it straight up a few inches so that someone else can slip a dolly or a block underneath it. Or occasionally deadlifting a lever to move something that can slide without damaging itself or the substrate.

About the only place I could get a "clean" lift on my engine would be with my feet on the cockpit seats. But there's a perfectly good mast and boom right there... Doesn't get easier than that!

BTW, deadlifts day is Friday. It probably wouldn't work on Saturday.

Deadlift day is any day Todd!

But I do agree - the conditions within the companionway are not conducive to a safe lift.